Quikcrete hydraulic cement

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has used the hydraulic cement from Home Depot to aquascape? I’ve read that people have used it but I am unsure if it’s really safe. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Spitty

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6DFDFA93-5213-49DD-9157-2DC0D643B55F.png This stuff=

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of it being used before but it does degrade over years and I'm talking around 10 Or So. I went with epoxy myself.

OP
OP
Spitty

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching a bit more and discovered Marco 400 uses a acrylic polymer resin in the liquid it comes with to help resist cracking. I think I will break down and spend the extra dough and go with the Marco 400. Has anyone used this product? If so what were your results? I'm starting a 210 and I plan on drilling and cementing some rock structures.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on my aquascape, but sparingly to "spot cement" a few rocks together. It works very well. It might make your skimmer go crazy for a day or so.

It sets up really fast! I believe Home Depot also sells an additive that slows that process down a bit... which is probably what the expensive Marco cement uses. I would only mix a small dixie cup at a time and by the time i walked from my garage to my tank, it would go from soup to clay consistency. Just add some more water to it just before you place it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest not using it. I would suggest looking into Aquaforest's Stone fix and poly glue. I have used the stone fix wet in the DT and it is still set after two years

OP
OP
Spitty

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll look into the aqua forest product. My tank is not set up yet but I have 100+ pounds of dry rock. I am planning to create some structures, let it set up, then cure the rock for a few months while I continue to buy tank equipment. So I'm really taking it slow and want to make wise decisions.....

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen this product before but I have spent a lot of time around concrete. It reacts poorly to salt water, without knowing the makeup of this product and knowing that the salt water WILL corrode it I would be incredibly nervous of putting a product like this in my tank knowing how little chemical infiltration it takes to destroy a reef tank and kill marine life.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of ppl with Marco 400 experience. Check out the new aquascape forum and @chefjpaul aquascape. He uses Marco a lot. As @jsker suggested Aquaforest products are also good. I think spending the extra on Marco is well worth it

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of ppl with Marco 400 experience. Check out the new aquascape forum and @chefjpaul aquascape. He uses Marco a lot. As @jsker suggested Aquaforest products are also good. I think spending the extra on Marco is well worth it
Agree, Marco has a good product.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of it being used before but it does degrade over years and I'm talking around 10 Or So. I went with epoxy myself.
JB Weld etc. also degrades. The older stuff I have starts to get crumbly and loses grip over the years.

I'm going to try out that dental style epoxy next time around.

OP
OP
Spitty

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how long the Marco and aquforest cement has been on the market? I’m just wondering about the longevity of these products, maybe they will deteriorate over a period of many years as well?

Huntor0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used quickcrete water stop hydraulic cement with quickcrete concrete acrylic fortifier (No. 8610) to mortar rocks together to create shelves and arches. I used it sparingly and as mentioned above it dries super fast so I only mixed enough for each joint 1 at a time.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used this

N427 BASF MasterEmaco N 427 and acryl60

It's the same stuff as marco called emarco 400

Basf n427 is replacement for basf emarco 400

Call your local contractor supply shop.

Or I bought my 50lb back for 99 shipped 59.99 bag and $40 shipping but I could used this and make a lot of rock bonding.

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used that exact concrete, with terrible results.
It disintegrated over about 3 years.

But, part of that was user error.
The first rocks had carefully measured acrylic fortifier, and I did it in small pieces. They were ok-ish.
Key : It sets REALLY fast.
As I did more, I got a bit sloppy, did more at once, used a bit more water than I should, and worked it a bit too long.
Still, it was not done "badly" wrong, just not perfectly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back