Quoyi parrotfish

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for people who have Quoyi Parrotfish. I ordered one and it will be here Wednesday. I feel like I have read everything on the internet about them. The most recent forum postings with good info were from 2017. It seems like a lot of people were feeding pellets to them. What pellets are people feeding to them now? Currently I feed my tank frozen brine and frozen mysis and I put a sheet of nori in every day. I have also ready they graze on algae like GHA. I don’t have and never have had GHA grown in my tank. I do have an extreme overabundance of coralline, will they eat that off the rocks? Im also just looking for any other general tips on keeping them. Thanks

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for people who have Quoyi Parrotfish. I ordered one and it will be here Wednesday. I feel like I have read everything on the internet about them. The most recent forum postings with good info were from 2017. It seems like a lot of people were feeding pellets to them. What pellets are people feeding to them now? Currently I feed my tank frozen brine and frozen mysis and I put a sheet of nori in every day. I have also ready they graze on algae like GHA. I don’t have and never have had GHA grown in my tank. I do have an extreme overabundance of coralline, will they eat that off the rocks? Im also just looking for any other general tips on keeping them. Thanks

Congrats and good luck! My quoyi is quickly becoming one of my favorite fish. Also, it’s an absolute algae destroyer if allowed to move about the tank your rocks will be polished clean. I don’t see it eating coralline algae though.

I feed new life spectrum algaemax pellets and he goes nuts for it, also likes to eat algae wafers. Recently he started eating frozen foods too but for the first ~2 months wouldn’t touch any. Doesn’t seem interested in nori or is too shy to approach the veggie clip.

They often come with internal worms so you may want to feed metro or GC laced food in quarantine. Even though it’s a large fish they tend to be pretty shy, mine was initially bullied by my PBT so watch for that, will start hiding and not coming out much. They like to sleep in a cave or something. The one I have will lodge itself between two pieces of live rock. The first time I thought the rock fell on it as there was barely any space between.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish! Definitely on my list for my future dream tank! Good luck with it and be sure to post pictures! :)

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I didn’t think it would eat coralline, it was just a hope. I will also pick up some algaemax pellets and I do have algae wafers already. The place I ordered from does put them through a round of cuparmine, prazipro and furan-2. Hopefully that helps if the fish does have any issues but I will get some laced food just in case. I do also have a lot of caves and hiding places for him

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maritimer coached me for mine, it ate spectrum pellets (the large ones) very well, and then ate anything frozen about a week after beginning hammering these. Unfortunately, this was short-lived as we had a bad quarantine batch due to an overseen mistake (polyfiber filter pad removing CP) which took it out :(

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any additional advice from anyone? Thanks

peder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have mine for 3 years, still going strong, love this fish!

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thomastom, I have read that but a lot of the forums I have read saying that we’re from before 2010. So that’s what I’m hoping to avoid by gaining some additional insight.

Peder, what have you been feeding and doing to be so successful?

Last edited:

Aquanaut WA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO Large pellet is great for keeping brilliant color, healthy, fat fish. Loved by Anthias, gobies and Puffers too. They preffer this over Spectrum and Hikari

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ll check them out. Fish arrives tomorrow.

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had our Princess Parrotfish for over a year and loves algae but eats anything that is added to the tank. It was small when we got it and is probably around 4 inches now.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is supposed to be between 5-6”. According to shipping info it arrive before 1030am tomorrow.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please post a list of acronyms so that I (others) can know what you're saying? It's hard to follow a thread when trying to educate yourself - then you come to across "TDO" for example. After I saw that I searched the net and got zip with regard to fish. So I left the thread with a locked brain. Now I'm hanging out for an answer. I can understand people wanting to save time, but it's very hard for us novice types when there's no list on the site that we can refer to. At least tell me what TDO means. Maybe I will start a thread on acronym meanings and build on it over time.
Thanks all.;)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beautiful fish. Loves to sharpen its' teeth on coral. With the right conditions will be a treasure in the tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine is supposed to be between 5-6”. According to shipping info it arrive before 1030am tomorrow.

Post some pics my friend

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Quoyi parrotfish are reef safe

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back