OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an easy situation to deal with.

After all he's doing everything he can to make this tank flawless, while charging probably less than half of what the tank is worth. I am paying 2000 euros for the system, including the tank, cabinet, sump and plumbing.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an easy situation to deal with.

After all he's doing everything he can to make this tank flawless, while charging probably less than half of what the tank is worth. I am paying 2000 euros for the system, including the tank, cabinet, sump and plumbing.

Holy crap, that is a great deal.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, how can you not be patient in this situation?

The doors of cabinet are now tempered and he's going to paint them.

Regarding the brace, it's made of 2 laminated glass sheets (12mm + 5mm) that were cut with a slightly different shape. Why? All this so that the glass lids have a place to fit in the brace.

The problem is that this 5mm difference in the shape of the 2 glasses caused air to get between them while they were laminated.

He's going to unglue the tank, take the brace out, unlaminate it and laminate it again. And then glue the tank again and the brace... without bubbles.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at this idea again.

The fixtures would travel in one directions for 12 hours and back for another 12 hours using the time lapse function on loop.

It would be based on a motorized slider and I would have to order a support for the 2 fixtures that would connect to the slider.

https://gvmled.com/products/gt-j120d-motorized-video-slider

I chose this one because it can auto-pan, has programmable time lapse and loop and it can hold 30 pounds.

Since this is something that I haven't seen before, if anyone has advise on how to improve it or point out things that can go wrong, it will be a great help.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The doors of the cabinet were painted and are drying.

In the meantime I decided to try to figure out where each fish will hang out most of the time.

Peixes.jpg

Looking at it now, it seems like too many fish.

The clown trio will hang out in the magnifica.

The banggai couple will continue to be near the BTA's.

The flame angels and the tomini tang are buddies, so I guess they will continue to hang out together. I hope they will pick the central cave instead of the anemone cave.

The marine bettas will probably prefer a more peaceful area, so I am guessing they may choose to live in the BTA cave.

The 2 yellow assessors may prefer the company of the flame angels/tomini tang. If the marine bettas don't get funny ideas, may be they will stay with them.

The 2 flame hawkfish will probably hang all over the top of the central structure.

The 2 matted filefish should also do the same.

The 2 diamond gobies will hopefully pair up and dig their burrow somewhere around the main structure.

I currently have a couple of threadfin cardinals and I was planning to get 7 more. But it looks like too many fish now. Maybe I should just continue with just the 2 I have.

It's 27 vs 20 fish. It's a big difference. But on the other hand, they're so small.

Peixes2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will make the tank look very different through out the day with changing light direction and shadows. It's what the sun does.

It will also avoid shadowing problems with corals, possibly they will grow with more natural patterns.

Here's an old video with the idea.

Here's a fake product review I did of my perfect reef light :)

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"... to no avail"

"Kidnap his family"

I can only laugh. What awesome for your build though, in the US a tank/stand of this quality from the best custom builders would cost probably double what you paid and take 1 year plus. So just hunker down and wait another 6 months!

Such an awesome build! Cant wait to see it all come together.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, I am already ashamed to show up in front of my fish in their tiny 100 gallon cube. It's the main reason that made me order this tank.

The cube was meant for a group of 13 clowns, but brook took 10 of them right after they entered the tank.

So after a fallow period I began restoking the tank with other fish.

The problem is that with so many anemones, the tank is not a fish friendly environment.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a funny picture of xenias closing the siege on a BTA.

IMG_20190125_190037.jpg

If you notice the only reason they haven't closed the exit is the 2 aiptasias. They shall be known as the gate keepers. No aiptasia X for these 2 girls.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xenias are the only coral I have that can touch the BTA's. I placed them there to break the anemone wall. They are getting out of control.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing the 2 ideas, I am not sure if the travelling fixtures are worth the trouble, cost and visual impact on top of the tank. It is also something more that can fail.

Here's the result with the tilted fixtures on each side of the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to order the fish from my LFS (which is 250kms from here). I don't want to order them online because it's always overnight, it's too cold and the delivery is far from safe.

Here's how my last box of frags arrived:

received_249515145952200.jpeg

They can't get all the fish at this time, so only the 2 flame hawkfish and the diamond goby will arrive this week.

The 2 filefish and the 2 marine bettas will have to come later.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He made this video a few weeks ago. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to see the cabinet, complete with doors and lockers in place. He's beyond proud of his work :)

He has the overflow ready. It's black tempered glass that was cut with CNC.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't get to see it monday.

"Someday it'll come along.., the tank I love...
Maybe I shall meet him Sunday... maybe Monday... may not"

He painted the cabinet doors on the inside in opaque grey so that the light of the refugium won't turn the cabinet into a huge red lantern at night.

Waiting for the tank, waiting for the fish... I have the quarentine tanks ready for 2 months now.

received_615247288936647.jpeg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked him why the overflow needed to be laminated glass. The reason is because if the glass was painted on the outside, with time, paint would start to wear off, so the paint is inside the glass.

I was supposed to get the new fish this week, but not only my lfs couldn't find all of them but the ones they found were not in good conditions. I am trying to source them from somewhere else.

I ordered them from a store almost 500kms away and the owner said he'd bring them over himself next monday!

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I ordered were the following:

- 2 small marine bettas
- 2 small flame hawkfish
- 1 diamond goby
- 2 wheeler's shrimp goby + candy cane pistol shrimp

They had 2 marine bettas but one of them is an adult:

What a stunning fish! I had leave it though, being an adult wild caught, the risk for my current fish population is too big.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back