Rêverie Reef

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had to deactivate the refugium when I began dosing Vibrant over 4 month ago, and now instead of having to dose nitrates from time to time, I have nitrates over 25 ppm.

Another consequence is that the algae, instead of growing in the refugium, began growing in the tank.

I was picking them off the rock and then I saw it: a single bubble algae passing by in the current.

I don't care, I'm done with Vibrant.

But I'm not done with playing with fire: I began dosing vinegar again.

It's a temporary fix to bring nitrates down.

But I often think to myself, do I really need to? I noticed that the tank usually looks cleaner when the nitrates and phosphates are high.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
I bet it’s still your sandbed releasing and now without the carbon/algae source it’s building up? Are you feeding a lot? What I hated about vinegar and vodka is the cyano that follows.

After shutting down my last SPS mixed reef I stopped caring and just kept the refugium in tank. Yeah I hate the look of bubble algae too but it’s part of the landscape now

OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed 7-8 times per day and the nutrients were in check before I began dosing Vibrant.

Phosphates are around 0.2 and nitrates around 30.

This not what what everyone tells us that nutrients should be, but I'm starting to believe that's where the tank wants to be.

It's not the first time I notice that the tank looks healthier and cleaner with higher nutrients.

No signs of cyano yet, just a little dusting of diatoms on the sand, much less than usual.

I think the tank is still under the spell of Vibrant because I normally need to clean the glass every other day and now it's almost once per week.

Chaeto is still not growing. I guess the tank needs a couple of more weeks before Vibrant stops hindering algae growth.

The tuxedo urchin is probably starving because Vibrant also killed almost all coraline.

I better abort the 2nd carbon dosing trial before I unleash something nasty.

OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Speaking of trials, I am going to put my 100 gallon cube outside in the sun for a couple of weeks during July/August when temperatures get around 110 and see if a fan can keep the tank below 80.

If it's successful, the next test will be during winter (when temperatures get into 20s) and see if a 300 watt heater and styrofoam plates around the glass can keep the tank around 76 degrees.

Only then I will decide if the 8'x5'x16" sunlit lagoon idea will go ahead or not.

Of course, in the meantime I can make plans (it's the best part of a project like this).

I was thinking about making it an angel tank. So the core fish population would be:

- 2 Majestic angels,
- 2 Heraldi angels
- 3 Flame angels
- 3 Coral beauties

Regarding corals, I wouldn't buy a single corals, I would populate the lagoon with frags from my tank.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just noticed there's 3 Banggais holding at this moment .

In a way I regret getting the original couple a few years ago and the reason is precisely this: they breed and release a small group of baby pandas in the tank, and they're the cutest baby fish ever... and it's tough.

Other than that they're fascinating fish. The dynamics of the group is really complex.

The reason there's 3 males holding at this moment is because the mother of them all got her male pregnant, kicked him out and he had the babies on his own.

In the meantime she seduced one of her sons (a widow, whose wife she killed, I believe), got him pregnant, than she took her original husband back and got him pregnant.

Just by coincidence, one of the young males is also pregnant from his sister.

It's pure old testament.

OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm still toying with the sunlit lagoon tank and today I took PAR readings in the shaded area.

Screenshot_20210508-201752_Sheets.jpg

During winter, the area where the tank would be placed gets more direct sunlight because the sun is lower. On the other hand, there's less daylight hours and the weather is more cloudy.

Either way, it's enough to support a large diversity of corals.

But it's never gonna happen. How would I make sure everything is safe when I have to be away for a few days?

Last edited:

HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE ZOANTHIDS?

• LOVE them

Votes: 374 44.2%
  • Like them

Votes: 232 27.4%
  • They're "ok"

Votes: 161 19.0%
  • Don't like them

Votes: 45 5.3%
  • Hate them

Votes: 25 3.0%