OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to deactivate the refugium when I began dosing Vibrant over 4 month ago, and now instead of having to dose nitrates from time to time, I have nitrates over 25 ppm.

Another consequence is that the algae, instead of growing in the refugium, began growing in the tank.

I was picking them off the rock and then I saw it: a single bubble algae passing by in the current.

I don't care, I'm done with Vibrant.

But I'm not done with playing with fire: I began dosing vinegar again.

It's a temporary fix to bring nitrates down.

But I often think to myself, do I really need to? I noticed that the tank usually looks cleaner when the nitrates and phosphates are high.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it’s still your sandbed releasing and now without the carbon/algae source it’s building up? Are you feeding a lot? What I hated about vinegar and vodka is the cyano that follows.

After shutting down my last SPS mixed reef I stopped caring and just kept the refugium in tank. Yeah I hate the look of bubble algae too but it’s part of the landscape now

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 7-8 times per day and the nutrients were in check before I began dosing Vibrant.

Phosphates are around 0.2 and nitrates around 30.

This not what what everyone tells us that nutrients should be, but I'm starting to believe that's where the tank wants to be.

It's not the first time I notice that the tank looks healthier and cleaner with higher nutrients.

No signs of cyano yet, just a little dusting of diatoms on the sand, much less than usual.

I think the tank is still under the spell of Vibrant because I normally need to clean the glass every other day and now it's almost once per week.

Chaeto is still not growing. I guess the tank needs a couple of more weeks before Vibrant stops hindering algae growth.

The tuxedo urchin is probably starving because Vibrant also killed almost all coraline.

I better abort the 2nd carbon dosing trial before I unleash something nasty.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of trials, I am going to put my 100 gallon cube outside in the sun for a couple of weeks during July/August when temperatures get around 110 and see if a fan can keep the tank below 80.

If it's successful, the next test will be during winter (when temperatures get into 20s) and see if a 300 watt heater and styrofoam plates around the glass can keep the tank around 76 degrees.

Only then I will decide if the 8'x5'x16" sunlit lagoon idea will go ahead or not.

Of course, in the meantime I can make plans (it's the best part of a project like this).

I was thinking about making it an angel tank. So the core fish population would be:

- 2 Majestic angels,
- 2 Heraldi angels
- 3 Flame angels
- 3 Coral beauties

Regarding corals, I wouldn't buy a single corals, I would populate the lagoon with frags from my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed there's 3 Banggais holding at this moment .

In a way I regret getting the original couple a few years ago and the reason is precisely this: they breed and release a small group of baby pandas in the tank, and they're the cutest baby fish ever... and it's tough.

Other than that they're fascinating fish. The dynamics of the group is really complex.

The reason there's 3 males holding at this moment is because the mother of them all got her male pregnant, kicked him out and he had the babies on his own.

In the meantime she seduced one of her sons (a widow, whose wife she killed, I believe), got him pregnant, than she took her original husband back and got him pregnant.

Just by coincidence, one of the young males is also pregnant from his sister.

It's pure old testament.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still toying with the sunlit lagoon tank and today I took PAR readings in the shaded area.

Screenshot_20210508-201752_Sheets.jpg

During winter, the area where the tank would be placed gets more direct sunlight because the sun is lower. On the other hand, there's less daylight hours and the weather is more cloudy.

Either way, it's enough to support a large diversity of corals.

But it's never gonna happen. How would I make sure everything is safe when I have to be away for a few days?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I decided to do some prunning and nearly destroyed the left side of the main valley.

The teal slimer and the forest fire detached from the rock and fell and the only way to put them back close to their original positions was to lean them against other corals. This will create lots of dead areas.

I wanted to prune the areas with less light, so I tried to cut lower branches. The idea is also to create more passages for the fish.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the components that I think the hobby misses is sound and I decided to install an audio system under the tank.

I created a sound file with 24 hours of a mix of reef sounds and it's in synch with the programming of the pumps . The pumps simulate 2 high tides during the day.

RS3.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-104657_AQLink V2.jpg

The sound file begins at 10 PM and it begins with calm reef sounds, mostly clicks from shrimp.

In the morning, as the pumps increase speed, the sounds of a more active reef increase.

When the pumps get to 120% (they're overclocked), the sound of the waves is really loud.

I have one of the speakers right beneath the bottom glass and the other facing the front of the tank. The subwoofer is at the bottom of the cabinet.

The funny thing is the synchronicity of the pumps and sound is really noticeable, not just because of the movement of some corals, but also the sound of the surface agitation, because the 2 pumps are attached to the eurobrace.

I don't know if the fish can hear it and if they do, if they like it. I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching the fish to see if I can notice any reaction to the sound and they don't seem affected.

The tank seems to have a tone more flow though.

There's a certain feel like you're in a public aquarium, because that's where you normally have this kind of stuff.

When watching the tank and hearing the sounds I'm much more reminded of my experiences diving and snorkeling.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some interesting observations on fish behavior.

The Tomini tang hates the diamond goby and always chases him back to his burrow beneath the magnifica pillar whenever he sees him out.

The goby is so scared of the Tomini that seeing him 2 feet away is enough to make him rush back to his burrow.

Yesterday in the evening, the goby decided to move to the front centre of the tank and began digging. When the Tomini saw him, he immediately attacked him but the goby fought back!

It's interesting how the motivation of getting a new home gave him courage.

That area of the tank hadn't seen any sand movement in a long time and the excavations caused the water to fill with sediment. I guess the corals are enjoying it.

The heraldi angels usually spawn everyday just a few minutes before lights turn off, but in the last few days, the female wasn't interested. It used to be the opposite. The male danced and darted around trying to persuade her, but to no avail.

He was definitely not happy and occasionally even chased other fish, including the comets.

I was getting worried that there was something wrong with the female but yesterday they spawned and bit earlier than usual. The male even wanted to have another go.

It's the first time I keep comets and I find it difficult to understand their behavior.

When I got the 2, I though they were the same species and I was hoping they would pair up. I now know that they're an argus and an altivelis and I'm now 99% sure it will never happen.

The argus is a much calmer animal and although he's smaller than the altivelis, he still has the upper hand.

I'm always scared when a smaller fish has the upper hand because the moment that the relationship is reversed can have fatal consequences.

They have different body language.

The altivelis does the defensive flapping of the tail while swimming backwards when I move too close to the tank and sometimes when he is startled by the argus. I've never seen the argus do that.

The argus moves his ventral fins almost like a shrimp moves his antennas. I've never seen the altivelis do that.

The argus is an absurdly elegant fish.

This is the argus just before I got him:

I looks like it hasn't grown at all in 28 months.

The altivelis was a young fish, probably 6 months old from captive breeding and it trippled in size.

The argus has always been much more challenging to feed. I recently got dried krill. The first time I showed it to him outside the tank he went nuts. He hasn't seen a shrimp since he was caught in the ocean.

The altivelis is not interested at all in krill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby has been moving tons of sand right at the front of the tank. I can't say I dislike what he did.

1622390748084.jpg

It seems he's also been looking at pictures of freshwater aquascapes with climbing sand paths surrounded by a forest.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back