R2R FLASH SALE - $1, $2, $3, $4, $5 Corals! Deals End TUESDAY 9/12!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little eye candy of what we will be releasing tomorrow. Just remember. All of our corals may be gluten free but they are definitely not edible.
Eye Candy GIF by The Roku Channel

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah they are pretty neat. Somewhat hard/rare to find at times but we have seen them having some availability recently. Could not pass up on them :)
Not sure if the frags will be ready in time for the sale but we will have colonies for monday. Fingers crossed the frags will be available too but if not then they will be up on the following weeks sale :)

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have lots of NPS right now? I have fat head dendros from AquaSD and they are cool. I was thinking of a NPS gorgonian at some point.
I wouldn’t say a ton, but that’s been my primary focus lately. Got 5 fat heads (colonies/frags), about a dozen yellow suns (colonies/frags), and 3 black suns (1 colony, 2 chunky frags), and 1 walking Dendro. Hoping to grow the diversity a little bit

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are pretty neat. Somewhat hard/rare to find at times but we have seen them having some availability recently. Could not pass up on them :)
Not sure if the frags will be ready in time for the sale but we will have colonies for monday. Fingers crossed the frags will be available too but if not then they will be up on the following weeks sale :)
Would highly recommend the black sun corals (Tubastraea micranthus). Adds a very unique color to the tank and the rarity of it being available in the hobby is an added perk. Just make sure you’re adequately feeding it

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t say a ton, but that’s been my primary focus lately. Got 5 fat heads (colonies/frags), about a dozen yellow suns (colonies/frags), and 3 black suns (1 colony, 2 chunky frags), and 1 walking Dendro. Hoping to grow the diversity a little bit
workaholics friends GIF by Comedy Central

1694376226056.png

1694376275441.png

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t noticed any problems so far, but I’m hesitant to give a blanket statement of they won’t ever have a problem

I have a fathead, love it. First time seeing a black sun, looks amazing. I have the fathead is a really nice spot that would accommodate a black sun however, they would eventually grow into each other...

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will a black sun and fathead get along if they are mounted close?
Yes as long as they are not touching. I have never seen sweepers from them and do not think they have them but the oceans a crazy place and I dont want to give any misinformation

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as long as they are not touching. I have never seen sweepers from them and do not think they have them but the oceans a crazy place and I dont want to give any misinformation

If I picked one up they would be mounted a few inched away from each other. Eventually they would grow into each other but I assume instead of killing each other off they would just stop growing in the direction of the other.

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fathead, love it. First time seeing a black sun, looks amazing. I have the fathead is a really nice spot that would accommodate a black sun however, they would eventually grow into each other...
I’d say get it. The yellow suns grow the quickest in my experience, then the fat heads. My understanding is the black sun corals grow at a much slower rate than the other 2. They’ve all been pretty hardy so far and are pretty easy to care for (outside of making sure you adequately feed - I do a mix of Reef Nutrition Phyto/Oyster Feast, frozen brine shrimp or mysis, and Hikari coral gumbo.

The “NPS” that gave me trouble was the walking Dendro. The peanut worm that makes it move is really cool to see, but if you have anything on your sand bed (like corals) I’d recommend dipping the Dendro to kill the worm or glue the hole shut. Thing gravitated towards my rhodactis and the Dendro wasn’t coming out too hot but is making a great recovery. They don’t need the worm to survive in an aquarium, but if you got the available space for one, they’re very cool.

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say get it. The yellow suns grow the quickest in my experience, then the fat heads. My understanding is the black sun corals grow at a much slower rate than the other 2. They’ve all been pretty hardy so far and are pretty easy to care for (outside of making sure you adequately feed - I do a mix of Reef Nutrition Phyto/Oyster Feast, frozen brine shrimp or mysis, and Hikari coral gumbo.

The “NPS” that gave me trouble was the walking Dendro. The peanut worm that makes it move is really cool to see, but if you have anything on your sand bed (like corals) I’d recommend dipping the Dendro to kill the worm or glue the hole shut. Thing gravitated towards my rhodactis and the Dendro wasn’t coming out too hot but is making a great recovery. They don’t need the worm to survive in an aquarium, but if you got the available space for one, they’re very cool.

The walking denros look cool however, I really like the rest of my sand corals so I may pass on it until I build another tank. I am leaning toward a black sun if it is in the stars.

I hand feed, well tweezer feed my fathead. Usually a fatty shrimp bit one a week.

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I picked one up they would be mounted a few inched away from each other. Eventually they would grow into each other but I assume instead of killing each other off they would just stop growing in the direction of the other.
Yeah usually things that are less aggressive like favias will grow into each other and if they are not compatible they will mabye have a little coral warfare but will just choose to go in different directions. More than likely the same with these but I am not 100% sure

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The walking denros look cool however, I really like the rest of my sand corals so I may pass on it until I build another tank. I am leaning toward a black sun if it is in the stars.

I hand feed, well tweezer feed my fathead. Usually a fatty shrimp bit one a week.
IMG_3422.jpeg

Here’s my “dewormed” walking Dendro. Still a beautiful and unique addition to the tank even though it’s no longer walking. Have an NPS dedicated tank running now that can house the full walking Dendro without the problem of walking into coral warfare.

The commensal relationship exists in the wild so that the worm can help move the Dendro out of muddy areas it would likely get buried in and in return the worm gets protection via living in the Dendro skeleton. In the wild, no worm would likely lead to the death of the Dendro, but in the hobbyist’s tank they’ll do fine.

I know some may disagree, but I’d say still go for one as long as you’re okay with it no longer “walking”

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you pros out there.

I have a new tank. I am migrating everything from an old tank. This is a mixed tank. I've been moving in my softies, all are doing great. I have been waiting move in my acans, do you think they acans will be fine if I have duncans/mushrooms/zoa's/leathers/fatheads in the tank for a few weeks doing really well? What about adding plates?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back