R2R FLASH SALE - SUN 1/30/22 - Discounts up to 80% - Freebies - Win Prizes - 3000+ Corals - Happy Chinese New Year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited for my new arrivals that I just went down to the display tank and killed some zoos and palys to make room! lol (I hate zoos and palys - and xenia)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited for my new arrivals that I just went down to the display tank and killed some zoos and palys to make room! lol (I hate zoos and palys - and xenia)
I agree with you on Xenia. Was smart not to introduce it into my primary tank. Zoas..I still have yet to learn that lesson..mostly because I have not been successful in them taking off. Luckily..I have not been able to outright kill them (well most of them) but they are still basiclly the plugs I bought.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with you on Xenia. Was smart not to introduce it into my primary tank. Zoas..I still have yet to learn that lesson..mostly because I have not been successful in them taking off. Luckily..I have not been able to outright kill them (well most of them) but they are still basiclly the plugs I bought.
Any zoas you don't want, can certainly come to my work tank!

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The lesson I keep having to relearn is that mixed reefs don't work well long term.

I made the mistake of introducing zoos and palys into my SPS dominant display. They grow well and encroach on the acros and monties. I tried introducing zoo-eating cowrie snails, but the blue-leg hermits made short work of them. I've since found that injecting zoos and palys with a calc paste works best, though it takes at least two goes per to kill them.

Currently I have a zoo+shrooms dominant nano, a softies dominant display and a SPS focused display. I'm slowly converting the softies tank to LPS and nems only and getting rid of the corals that keep overspreading everything else. I'd probably change focus on the zoo tank but my wife really likes it, so..., in that one they're safe.

@OrchidMiss If I were still in Swampscott I'd head over and give then all to you. Edit: Opps, it's @BroccoliFarmer that's in Medford. Medford MA or is there one in NJ too?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The lesson I keep having to relearn is that mixed reefs don't work well long term.

I made the mistake of introducing zoos and palys into my SPS dominant display. They grow well and encroach on the acros and monties. I tried introducing zoo-eating cowrie snails, but the blue-leg hermits made short work of them. I've since found that injecting zoos and palys with a calc paste works best, though it takes at least two goes per to kill them.

Currently I have a zoo+shrooms dominant nano, a softies dominant display and a SPS focused display. I'm slowly converting the softies tank to LPS and nems only and getting rid of the corals that keep overspreading everything else. I'd probably change focus on the zoo tank but my wife really likes it, so..., in that one they're safe.

@OrchidMiss If I were still in Swampscott I'd head over and give then all to you. Edit: Opps, it's @BroccoliFarmer that's in Medford. Medford MA or is there one in NJ too?
I appreciate that, but I have no idea where that is! lol

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol. I be in NJ. By marriage not by choice!!

I got plenty of torches that are just waiting for a zoa to look at it cross eyed!!

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the xenia as well. I put some on its own island once. Pretty far from the mainland. Named it Clint later on. It escaped Alcatraz...

Shame though - it is very flowy and really pretty. Thought briefly about the blue cespitularia once. Then I though about Clint.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the xenia as well. I put some on its own island once. Pretty far from the mainland. Named it Clint later on. It escaped Alcatraz...

Shame though - it is very flowy and really pretty. Thought briefly about the blue cespitularia once. Then I though about Clint.
I was reading somewhere that Xenia is what is the root cause of some 40-50% of people getting into reef keeping. The accuracy of that number is quite suspect..but I am sure there is some truth to it..after all, I was my reason I decided to try.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was my first live sale... It was fun and i made one rule for myself... Don't tell the Wife!!!
Welcome to the R2R community!!

Happy Dance GIF by Charlie Mars

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back