R2R Member Auctions In the Classifieds Idea Thread

Would you like the option to auction off your corals and equipment?

• YES

Votes: 252 56.3%
  • NO

Votes: 82 18.3%
  • Maybe Depending

Votes: 113 25.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're working with a dev to possibly add the ability for auctions within the classifieds. So you would be able to list live good items as auctions if you choose to do so.

BUT if we're going to do this we need ideas on what you would like to see when it comes to auctions. Options, ideas, etc..

If we don't get ideas we're going to assume it's not anything you want and it will be dead in the water.
bigstock-Bidding-Process-Auction-Paddl-401821193.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe to keep it moving, with a sudden-death ending, something like:

‘Auction is Live for 72 hours, at which time auctions ends after 3 hours where no further bids have been made.’
Thanks can you explain that a bit more?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I post an item for people to bid on, say Monday at 10 a.m. Presumptively the auction ends Thursday at 10 a.m. Now suppose Thursday at 9:45 a.m. there is a new higher bid placed. It pushes the auction ‘closing time’ to 12:45 that same day. But theoretically the window to bid can keep getting bumped back by three-hours at a time until all people have entered a bid. Kind of like a last-flurry of activity. (Or it could finally close after one-hour, or after two-hours without a bid— whatever you decide.)

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when my item on the most popular online auction site ends with a few “sniper” bids just before auction closing instead of bidding it up over time. That said, I like how one site I follow does it where there is a published auction ending day & time and beginning at that time the auction will end 2 minutes after the last bid is received.

• Sniping protection extends the auction clock by two minutes each time a bid is placed in the auction’s final moments. The auction isn’t over until two full minutes have elapsed since the highest bid was placed.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
following... :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks so far!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate when my item on the most popular online auction site ends with a few “sniper” bids just before auction closing instead of bidding it up over time. That said, I like how one site I follow does it where there is a published auction ending day & time and beginning at that time the auction will end 2 minutes after the last bid is received.

• Sniping protection extends the auction clock by two minutes each time a bid is placed in the auction’s final moments. The auction isn’t over until two full minutes have elapsed since the highest bid was placed.
I like that. There could even be a notification sent to the last highest bidder to let them know they’ve been outbid.

I like having a buy it now price option.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another idea on "sniper" bids... IDK if it would be possible, but here is my thought. An auction lasts say 72 hours. Several people are bidding... Any bid in the last 5 minutes, posted by someone who has not been actively bidding throughout, must be at least 15% higher than the previous high bid. This will eliminate the ones who last second outbid by a penny and win...

Just an idea

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good stuff so far!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have an idea that will work in practice...

How about this?

All bids must be at least 10% higher than the previous bid? Simple

For example: an auction starts with a $5 base. the next bid must be $5.50 the following bid must be $6.05 and so on. The end of auction is locked. 72 hours is it, no grace period.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jedi1199 — do you know how many people are like me— mathematically illiterate?? LOL!

That is why I suggest 10%.. anybody can look at a bid.. say 15.00 and move the decimal point one place to the left..

Yes, we could do something like say minimum bid is 1 dollar, but what if we are talking a piece that is selling for hundreds?

Say the bid is currently $67.85... You must bid at least 6.79 for the next qualifying bid.

We are in the brainstorming phase here.. Its just an idea.

65newbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like getting on eBay and pulling the trigger at the last minute only to realize after the auction updates after e ding I lost by .50c. next time, I’ll get you next time.
I think if you go the “extend the auction route” 3 hours seems drastic. Maybe 5-10 minutes?
I get notifications on eBay “ Hurry! Only 14 minutes left!” Then I watch the auction like a hawk or my ADD kicks in and I start playing clash of clans and forget about it lol.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of extending the auction if a bid comes in but think it should be a matter of minutes. Seems this could get pretty difficult though if using the same forum style interface.

I would hope if auction functionality is added it is less clunky than the classifieds with two posts. If it does end up with both sale and discussion post then i sure hope both posts show the location(preferably in text as part of the header) so you dont have to click all over and pray the map actually shows up when you scroll to bottom.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have an idea that will work in practice...

How about this?

All bids must be at least 10% higher than the previous bid? Simple

For example: an auction starts with a $5 base. the next bid must be $5.50 the following bid must be $6.05 and so on. The end of auction is locked. 72 hours is it, no grace period.
I can see why that would be wanted as a buyer but for a seller that seems like a bad idea. It could potentially cause the seller to lose out on money because of someone not willing to go the extra 10% (or whatever percentage is chosen).

Also, if that method was used I don't think one standard percentage would work. 10% of an expensive item could be a substantial increase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back