R2R ROCK YOUR REEF Contest: Win a Custom Reef Structure (With Consultation) up to 30lbs.

dustystar30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tank

This is my tank
CAM00355.jpg

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liked on FB
Here's a pic of my old rock scape from before I moved...It was pretty plain, but I actually liked it

center_zps66cf94b9.jpg

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my 150g RS setup (48x30x24)

First attempt at rock setup was too symmetrical, second attempt to advantage of the depth of the tank from to back:

DSC04707_zps867c9c33.jpg

DSC04727_zps05bc560b.jpg

ReefontheRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I browsed your website and your FAQ page. I read about the short term pH spike it may cause, but my question is have you tested it for residual phosphates? I've read that some manufactured rocks put out high levels of phosphates. Thanks in advance for answering.

Hi Mike,

The phosphates you are referring to usually dates back to the days when DIY rock makers used crushed shell in their mix, which is still used today. Because of the problem with gradual phosphate release, I do not use crushed shell. My mix uses about 70% (By total weight) Aragonite Sand, Perlite (Both for weight and creating great drill holes), and White Cement.

Using myself as the permanent example of my products, I have not tested positive for phosphates but that could be due to many reasons (Good filtration, feeding habits, etc).. not just that my rocks don't leech phosphates. It's difficult to get an accurate picture for these following reasons:

- Phosphates don't show up with the speed of, say, pH. The initial minimal pH spike (Think of it akin to topping of via Kalk water type of pH increase) comes and goes within hours.. but phosphate release takes time to show up. I've never tested positive for phosphates after initial set up of a tank using my rock (Cycling).

- After setting up a brand new tank (Cycling has finished) - This would be around the time phosphates could make the greatest show of itself... it had time to get released into the water column. Again, I personally have not tested positive for phosphates, and I've never gotten word back that it has happened to my customers (I would hear it as many of my customers are local to me.).

- When bio-mass is added to the tank, and feedings begin - This is the hardest time to officially test my rock for phosphate release simply because a lot is going on with the tank, especially feedings and filtration. Again, I have never tested positive for phosphates but that could be for many reasons. Others could test positive for phosphates, but that could be from many sources like feeding, lack of water movement, or filtration. To date, I have never gotten a call from a single customer that thought my rocks were a source of phosphates.

In all - I don't believe my rock to be a source of phosphates both by experience and because none of it's sources (Ingredients and environment) during manufacturing contain it.

I hope this answers your question, please don't hesitate to ask more!

Thanks!

Christian

ReefontheRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to bookmark this thread as we are setting up a 240g tank next weekend. I need to show my husband because he likes to do walls :( IMG_0098.jpg Liked on Facebook

You, I am assuming to be the wife, have this power.. called "No." My wife uses it on me constantly and I just don't have the will to fight it. I somehow believe your situation to be the same. ;)

On the plus side, you can also remind him that walls use up a lot more rock, so in the end it's more expensive than doing something cool like arches, fade-backs, etc.! :D

ReefontheRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1382053680351.jpg

The middle pipe is a eyesore but working on covering it with zoas ;-)

Have you considered (And yes I know, how dare I suggest another rock product, other than my own!) something like a small mag-rock? It would achieve a couple things that I believe is bothering you:

- It would help distort the pipe being too-straight-so-it-draws-my-eye-to-it problem. Adding something like a mag-rock (I am drawing a blank on other brands, I apologize.) would basically help that tall pipe look more like a natural rock structure.

- Since the mag-rock is removable at any time, fragging is a cinch compared to something more permanent.

OR

If you win this contest, or not and use my product and/or service, a pretty cool structure could be made around it. I would basically make the pipe part of the structure, so the viewer's eye is drawn to it, but at a glance. The idea is to trick the viewer into thinking it's not a very centered and straight pipe, but part of a rock structure. :)

Hope this helps!

Christian

ReefontheRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setting up my dream tank. 36x24x24. I saw rockwork on an email I got from R2R. That is what I must have. I have been trying to build it for days.... It is stunning. Would love to have this scaped! Thanks! rock.jpg

BTW I have your awesome rock studs!

Thanks Flying Fish, I appreciate the business! I love the dimensions of your tank. It's definitely a fun one to aquascape! :)

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yqy3yvah.jpg

I am big on columns and open spaces. Its hard to see in this picture because the rock is all brand new. I wanted a different look on the column deal but I didn't have big enough base rocks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 116 47.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.0%
Back