(4) Hermit patience
(5) Confucius patience
(6) Dalai Lama patience
(7) COVID-19 patience
(8) Government doing something useful patience
(9) UN doing something useful patience
(10) Mother-in-law patience

Have a nice day !
Point well made! I believe I have three!

vgliha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethings I wished I knew when I started a few months ago:
1. Invertebrates are carriers of fish diseases and need to be quarantined for 60-72 days so you don't introduce something nasty into your tank (learned this the hard way with ich)
2. Dipping your frags and new coral introductions is a must do because, again, parasites and such.
3. Make sure you know your fish AND coral diseases and look for them during Quarantine. Because I never knew Zoa Pox was a thing until yesterday and... seriously...what the heck?! There are SO MANY of them compared to freshwater tanks.

JNelsonCo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok were done! That’s a wrap.
Really a worthy top ten list!
Too funny! I am looking forward to the survey you put together. Too bad patience isn’t as quantifiable as testing. My list, no order at this time:

- Test weekly. Pay attention to the trends. I’ve been using the Aquarimate app. Very nice way to keep track.
- Patience. Just when you are going to make a move browse the topic at R2R. Then wait a few days.
- Always have water ready to go.
- Go to LFS looking for your researched livestock on a written list. If it’s not on the list, no go. LFS is too easy to make spontaneous buys.
- Spend time viewing your tank daily. For me it is relaxing.
- Ignore fish body language telling you they are starving. Lite to very lite feeding, once or twice a day.
- Observe the efficiency of your cleaning crew. Don’t restock with poor cleaners.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a rebel. I ain’t got no rules. :D But, if I did

Rule 1-9 you will need a tank, water, salt, fish/coral, and a light. That’s it. That is the purest rules of all.

After that there are no rules, only advice and many ways to accomplish the ultimate goal.

So for my 10 th rule. These are pets and living things you are getting . Be ready with research, time, budget to care for them. And the reefing world will have endless possibilities for your enjoyment and fulfillment for years and years.

Also, I make my own rules, that’s why...I am... Mastiffsrule :cool:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top number one is research before you even start. How read books, read on R2R and other web sites. Then decide where you are putting tank so you know the size. The size is going to determine equipment list and livestock. Don't even buy until you have spent time researching this stuff. Don't start to small as stability will be an issue but to big may discourage you between cost and maintenance. Hard to make a list of only 10

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lets go to top 25 with a crucial top 10 ;) ;Facepalm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not chase numbers and try to obtain the perfect test reading. If as example PH remains steady at 7.9, and salinity at 1.024 and CA at 390, it is considered as stable and just as good as standard numbers. Chasing does more harm than good.

Beam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything with an electrical cord will break sooner or later. so I always keep a cheap powerhead and a heater on a tablet just in case

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny! I am looking forward to the survey you put together. Too bad patience isn’t as quantifiable as testing. My list, no order at this time:

- Test weekly. Pay attention to the trends. I’ve been using the Aquarimate app. Very nice way to keep track.
- Patience. Just when you are going to make a move browse the topic at R2R. Then wait a few days.
- Always have water ready to go.
- Go to LFS looking for your researched livestock on a written list. If it’s not on the list, no go. LFS is too easy to make spontaneous buys.
- Spend time viewing your tank daily. For me it is relaxing.
- Ignore fish body language telling you they are starving. Lite to very lite feeding, once or twice a day.
- Observe the efficiency of your cleaning crew. Don’t restock with poor cleaners.
The fish feeding is a good one....it’s always difficult to tell if the fish are starving and how much to feed them. They always look like they haven’t eaten in a week.

OP
OP
Silverfish

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a rebel. I ain’t got no rules. :D But, if I did

Rule 1-9 you will need a tank, water, salt, fish/coral, and a light. That’s it. That is the purest rules of all.

After that there are no rules, only advice and many ways to accomplish the ultimate goal.

So for my 10 th rule. These are pets and living things you are getting . Be ready with research, time, budget to care for them. And the reefing world will have endless possibilities for your enjoyment and fulfillment for years and years.

Also, I make my own rules, that’s why...I am... Mastiffsrule :cool:
Quite the esoteric. Thinking on
a
whole
notha’
level.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back