Rabbitfish gurus, step inside.... I need suggestions

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a 6"+- goldspot rabbit fish. I know they get fairly large. I just witnessed the pig devour a red gorgonian that was newly placed and was opening beautifully. I knew they are a crapshoot with eating coral and I crapped out, it ate coral.

Now on to the question, what is the easiest way to catch a large, cryptic, toxic fish. I'm beyond not amused after watching the gorgonian being chomped into non existence. The rabbit has to go! I have a large trap, but im leaning towards netting when sleeping (when its not in the rock).

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick I have heard is to wait until fish are sleeping and then turn on only red lights.
We see red light. Apparently fish do not or less so.
It may stay asleep giving you the chance to catch it.
I did this once with a Klein Butterfly and it worked really well.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a 6"+- goldspot rabbit fish. I know they get fairly large. I just witnessed the pig devour a red gorgonian that was newly placed and was opening beautifully. I knew they are a crapshoot with eating coral and I crapped out, it ate coral.

Now on to the question, what is the easiest way to catch a large, cryptic, toxic fish. I'm beyond not amused after watching the gorgonian being chomped into non existence. The rabbit has to go! I have a large trap, but im leaning towards netting when sleeping (when its not in the rock).
Good luck with that. How big is your tank?
I have always had good luck with 2 nets. Corner them and swoop in.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick I have heard is to wait until fish are sleeping and then turn on only red lights.
We see red light. Apparently fish do not or less so.
It may stay asleep giving you the chance to catch it.
I did this once with a Klein Butterfly and it worked really well.
I've done the light trick before, its hit or miss. Also a very short window when it does work :(.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the red light trick is time limited as the fish will eventually stir.
I used a fairly dim red head lamp. I would not use bright LED lights set to red only.
I also used the double net method to herd and scoop as even asleep the butterflyfish seemed to sense one net and move away from it.

In my large tank, just being set up I have two open passageways in my rock work and have "egg crate" light shields cut to fit across the tank. I will be able to trap fish into 1/3 of my tank which will make moving rock work much less of an issue.

I have also hear about using plastic bags set up as temporary barriers in the tank, plugging escape route, etc.
while I have never tried this I find the idea intriguing. The fish may not realize they can plow through plastic bags and stay in a section in which they can be netted out.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the red light trick is time limited as the fish will eventually stir.
I used a fairly dim red head lamp. I would not use bright LED lights set to red only.
I also used the double net method to herd and scoop as even asleep the butterflyfish seemed to sense one net and move away from it.

In my large tank, just being set up I have two open passageways in my rock work and have "egg crate" light shields cut to fit across the tank. I will be able to trap fish into 1/3 of my tank which will make moving rock work much less of an issue.

I have also hear about using plastic bags set up as temporary barriers in the tank, plugging escape route, etc.
while I have never tried this I find the idea intriguing. The fish may not realize they can plow through plastic bags and stay in a section in which they can be netted out.
Yes, I member a thread on r2r about the bag method.
OP, you should look that up. I think you have to shut off the pumps and put a rock on the bag to hold it in place. Really confuses the fish.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try at night. I have gotten some fish like this.

Stop feeding and use an acrylic trap. Other than some smaller fish that can eat off of the rockwork, all fish will go in there to eat when they get hungry enough. What usually happens is that some fish will go in there to eat and then the rest will get brave after the first one does. This can take a while, but it has always worked for me.

If you have a lot of coral, you might need to supply ammonia/ammonium if your fish are not being fed for a while. To each their own...

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another frag of the gorgonian? Not at all the same fish, but I once caught a yellow clown goby by putting the frag of millepora it was eating in a net and just waiting....

Maybe a bit in an acrylic trap could do it in short order, though you do risk the gorgonian.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had excellent luck with traps. It just takes some time with certain fish. Once you catch it feel free to send it my way ;) I have a nice big gorgonian free home for it.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try at night. I have gotten some fish like this.

Stop feeding and use an acrylic trap. Other than some smaller fish that can eat off of the rockwork, all fish will go in there to eat when they get hungry enough. What usually happens is that some fish will go in there to eat and then the rest will get brave after the first one does. This can take a while, but it has always worked for me.

If you have a lot of coral, you might need to supply ammonia/ammonium if your fish are not being fed for a while. To each their own...
I was considering a night raid on it. I get home from work at midnight usually. Saw the rabbit out in camo last night. Had to be back @ work at 6 or I would of tried with netting.

I have a acrylic trap, and its a nori & LRS\Rod's pig so that will more than likely be attempt #1.

Im still feeding with auto pellets, but the daily rods/lrs/frozen mysis and nori has stopped. It will be hungry enough, soon enough!

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another frag of the gorgonian? Not at all the same fish, but I once caught a yellow clown goby by putting the frag of millepora it was eating in a net and just waiting....

Maybe a bit in an acrylic trap could do it in short order, though you do risk the gorgonian.
I still have a yellow gorg, she is a pig with frozen food & nori, should be able to bait her soon enough.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had excellent luck with traps. It just takes some time with certain fish. Once you catch it feel free to send it my way ;) I have a nice big gorgonian free home for it.
If you were local, it would be yours. Since rabbits aren't for a lot of reefers, the lfs will give me crapola for it and resell it for triple digits.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have actually drained my Reef 250 liter , 54 gallon display to catch coral eaters. Twice.

Drain it. Catch em. Put the water back in. Only takes a few minutes. Coral can be out of water for a little while.

I used a pitcher and kept them wet as it drained.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the large one now, lol. I'm stalking her from work!

Thats a nero 5 powerhead for reference to size. The darling isnt small @ all!
Screenshot_20220605-190122.png

OP
OP
Lbrdsoxfan

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually drained my Reef 250 liter , 54 gallon display to catch coral eaters. Twice.

Drain it. Catch em. Put the water back in. Only takes a few minutes. Coral can be out of water for a little while.

I used a pitcher and kept them wet as it drained.

Good luck.
I've had to drain the tank to catch a maroon clown in my 60g, that wasn't too bad.

I'd need a minimum of two 32g brute cans plus the buckets I have to drain it down enough.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back