Rabbitfish Spots

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these 2 perfectly placed to be ick? Noticed them this morning. Seems odd they would be the only spots and on the only fish. I did add a bunch a lettuce seaslugs a few days ago without quarantining so I guess anything is possible.

20200821_164437.jpg 20200821_164304.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a bit unusual to have two Cryptocaryon trophonts (that could randomly be pretty much anywhere on a fish), both end up on the trailing edge of the same fin. Then again, I guess that's the definition of random! The spots look a bit too large and distinct to be ich. I see two nubbed dorsal spines also. Has this fish been caught in a net recently?

Just watch them - if they stay longer than 48 hours, probably not ich.

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a bit unusual to have two Cryptocaryon trophonts (that could randomly be pretty much anywhere on a fish), both end up on the trailing edge of the same fin. Then again, I guess that's the definition of random! The spots look a bit too large and distinct to be ich. I see two nubbed dorsal spines also. Has this fish been caught in a net recently?

Just watch them - if they stay longer than 48 hours, probably not ich.

Jay

It has been about 3 weeks ago. The top fins are actually bent a bit and knubs formed. I guess a little like broken fingers that were never set. Its been in the tank for about 3 weeks after full QT. I was thinking it may be the start of lympho, debris/sand stuck real good, or even a mucus reaction to a sting. Maybe it backed into a bristle worm or something. Just seems a bit to perfectly lined up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like upper dorsal damage or tissue loss
Maintaining optimum water quality will be your best chance of healing and/or a stop in deterioration

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back