anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed something strange on my Foxface Rabbitfish. His behavior is normal and he’s acting fine. There are small-medium spots scattered on his side and they look brownish/beige. They are like nothing I’ve seen before as it doesn’t look like ick or anything else I can think of. It’s only on that one side of him and I don’t see it on any of my other fish. What is it and are there any solutions to fix it? I attached images as well.
Nitrates- 13.8
Phosphates- .08
Alk- 9.8
Salinity- 35
Calcium- 510

IMG_1935.jpeg IMG_1937.jpeg

OP
OP
A

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Can you tell us about the other fish in your tank?
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond Goby
Melanarus Wrasse
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Vlamingi Tang
Skunk Tilefish
Coral Beauty Angel
Foxface Rabbitfish
Sailfin Tang
Purple Queen Anthias
Midas Blenny
All of them are acting normal and fine as usual. It seemed to happen overnight as the spots were on the Foxface this morning.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond Goby
Melanarus Wrasse
Powder Blue Tang
Kole Tang
Vlamingi Tang
Skunk Tilefish
Coral Beauty Angel
Foxface Rabbitfish
Sailfin Tang
Purple Queen Anthias
Midas Blenny
All of them are acting normal and fine as usual. It seemed to happen overnight as the spots were on the Foxface this morning.
It isn’t ich or other any other external parasitic diseases.

Any sting LPS corals it might have run into?

I’ve seen tangs cause this with their tail spine, but not that many at one time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’ve seen tangs cause this with their tail spine, but not that many at one time.
Agree. to the OP - what size tank do you have? it could be some aggression. I would closely watch the wounds/areas - if bigger I would consider an antibiotic treatment in a hospital tank - with neomycin or kanamycin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Today I noticed something strange on my Foxface Rabbitfish. His behavior is normal and he’s acting fine. There are small-medium spots scattered on his side and they look brownish/beige. They are like nothing I’ve seen before as it doesn’t look like ick or anything else I can think of. It’s only on that one side of him and I don’t see it on any of my other fish. What is it and are there any solutions to fix it? I attached images as well.
Nitrates- 13.8
Phosphates- .08
Alk- 9.8
Salinity- 35
Calcium- 510

IMG_1935.jpeg IMG_1937.jpeg
This looks like puncture wounds- by chance do you have an urchin?
If not, other likelihood would be either stings or previous mucus cones

OP
OP
A

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could a purple torch or gold torch coral cause those stings? Right now it sort of looks like they’re peeling off. I also have a Goniopora but I’ve heard mixed things on wether it stings fish or not.
My LFS says it could be stings also. Reassuring to hear that its most likely not a parasite/disease.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. to the OP - what size tank do you have? it could be some aggression. I would closely watch the wounds/areas - if bigger I would consider an antibiotic treatment in a hospital tank - with neomycin or kanamycin.
165 Gallon tank. They seem to be falling off as one looks like its dangling by a thread.

OP
OP
A

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like puncture wounds- by chance do you have an urchin?
If not, other likelihood would be either stings or previous mucus cones
Yes, I do have an urchin. Interesting to here that she could be the possible culprit. If so, what would you recommend treating? And would action have to be taken with the urchin? Personally I’m leaning toward the stings as that’s what a lot of people have said including my LFS.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could a purple torch or gold torch coral cause those stings? Right now it sort of looks like they’re peeling off. I also have a Goniopora but I’ve heard mixed things on wether it stings fish or not.
My LFS says it could be stings also. Reassuring to hear that its most likely not a parasite/disease.
Yes it could be!! (probably is) and is probably related to the torch.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, I do have an urchin. Interesting to here that she could be the possible culprit. If so, what would you recommend treating? And would action have to be taken with the urchin? Personally I’m leaning toward the stings as that’s what a lot of people have said including my LFS.
Not so much a culprit but foxface is a curious fish and will approach it to closely and learn its lesson. The dots are more in alignment with urchin punctures similar to a past foxface of mine had with an urchin. While stings are possible, they rarely leave this needle pattern of an urchin and likely as foxface settled during night, it landed on the urchin spines where torch will retract when lights are out.
The fish itself will and should heal on its own, however keep an eye on it for any sores/redness which will warrant treatment in a separate tank using seachem Kanaplex Or ruby rally Pro within the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch corals might cause that - but if they have been together for some time, I can’t explain why this would happen so severely all at once.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Torch corals might cause that - but if they have been together for some time, I can’t explain why this would happen so severely all at once.
Jay
I was thinking a quick dash if a light went out - or something like that. I have had torch corals leave part of their mucus/skin on a fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back