Sps identification

skidmarkstevie

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2026
Messages
82
Reaction score
86
Location
San Francisco
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sps appeared and almost died but is totally back! Can anyone tell me what it is?



20260826_152235.jpg
 
Looks to be an LPS possibly.
Was this live rock and if so from where?
 
If sps, and came on live rock, possibly a porites species? I have an almost fully encrusted rock with a beautiful hitchhiker porites.
Sounds awesome! Any pictures? Looking at porites I think you may have got it! Cool coral to dream of stuffing in a monster tank some day. 😎
 
Last edited:
If sps, and came on live rock, possibly a porites species? I have an almost fully encrusted rock with a beautiful hitchhiker porites.
Sounds awesome! Any pictures? Looking at porites I think you may have got it! Cool coral to dream of stuffing in a monster tank some day. 😎
Unfortunately I don’t have any clear photos on my phone. If I have time tonight, I will see what’s on my card and add a couple. My rock did come from Indonesia, so it’s unlikely it could be the same type, but as far as I know, different kinds grow in most tropical regions. The one I currently have is blue/green. I once had a brown one many, many years ago.
 
+1 on Porites, or Madracis

Count the number of tentacles, if the number is 10 it's Madracis, if it's 12 it's Porites
 
If sps, and came on live rock, possibly a porites species? I have an almost fully encrusted rock with a beautiful hitchhiker porites.
Sounds awesome! Any pictures? Looking at porites I think you may have got it! Cool coral to dream of stuffing in a monster tank some day. 😎
Unfortunately I don’t have any clear photos on my phone. If I have time tonight, I will see what’s on my card and add a couple. My rock did come from Indonesia, so it’s unlikely it could be the same type, but as far as I know, different kinds grow in most tropical regions. The one I currently have is blue/green. I once had a brown one many, many years ago.
One of the patches under white and blues.


20260826_201639_0EF5D869-D578-496D-8E0C-CAB0F595B94F.png


20260826_201639_34988CDF-9F26-4765-92F5-F2C69DDE3CA9.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new