Rack Ideas for 35 Aquariums

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but I have moved homes this year and want to get all (at least the majority) of the tanks I've accumulated on as few racks as possible for now. There are a few that have individual stands (my 125, a 33, the 150 will get a new stand), but I'd really like to create a multi-level rack or two to put these tanks on. I'd like advice and some design ideas from those of you that have built something to house multiple tanks of multiple sizes. I don't really want a wall of tanks that is 3-4 tanks tall and only one tank deep. I do have a large area to work with (unfinished basement), but don't want all the walls lined with tanks.

One idea I like is where Joey built a 3 tier rack to hold tanks like this:
hqdefault.jpg

I have a 125 that has a display stand, a 33 that has a display stand, and a 150 that I will build a display stand for.

Here's a list of the tanks that need to be racked:

7 - 55s I have 1 display stand for a 55, so I may only rack 6
7 - 10s
4 - 15s
4 - 29s
2 - 40 breeders
2 - 20s
1 - 110 (72"x16"x24")
1 - 45 tall (20"x18"x30)
1 - 55 tall (30"x18"x24")
1 - 46 bow front
1 - 30 cube
1 - 75

Any and all ideas are quite welcomed!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very, very jealous of you right now. Also, I'm not the hugest fan of current Joey, and that tank rack would be hard to maintain long term. (pre-giant fish room/vlogger, he put out some nice content and I appreciate the DIY aspect of the channel).

What's your opinion of tanks backing tanks, like how Cory from Aquarium Co-Op does it? It doesn't necessarily have to be 2x4s and cinderblocks (although I'm a major fan of that aesthetic), but just having them lined up might be cool. And since East Tennessee isn't near any fault lines, you really can go as high as you want within reason. Costco/Sam's Club/HomeDepot have some nice "muscle racks" that could also help with the aesthetic as well.

I'd also sort the tanks based off of what you plan to put into them. It would be jarring to have 1 freshwater tank next to a saltwater tank, which has another freshwater tank next to it ad infinitum.

Can you give us the dimensions of each of the tanks (max length x max width x max height in the case of bowfronts, etc.), as well as how much area you have to work with?

Also, I highly recommend looking into Google Sketchup; it's free and with a little bit of learning you can figure out how to model where the tanks can go and stuff.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on having all of those tanks on a central filtration system, or in multiple filtration systems (ex. one filtration system per rack), or plan to filter each tank?

When planning for my "fish space" (can't have a fish room just yet), since I'm going to attempt to have 2 4' long sections (one for fresh, one for salt), I decided that the saltwater part would have a 55 sump on the bottom to handle all the protein skimming and stuff, while the freshwater systems can manage off of an air pump.

OP
OP
ChuzUThisDay

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very, very jealous of you right now. Also, I'm not the hugest fan of current Joey, and that tank rack would be hard to maintain long term. (pre-giant fish room/vlogger, he put out some nice content and I appreciate the DIY aspect of the channel).

No need to be jealous :) I have a great opportunity ahead, but I'm struggling with a little paralysis of analysis in trying to get a good setup without moving everything multiple times. As for current Joey vs old Joey, I too enjoyed all the DIY stuff vs his "gallery". Everything changes though and I too am quite different than I was 5-10 years ago.

What's your opinion of tanks backing tanks, like how Cory from Aquarium Co-Op does it? It doesn't necessarily have to be 2x4s and cinderblocks (although I'm a major fan of that aesthetic), but just having them lined up might be cool. And since East Tennessee isn't near any fault lines, you really can go as high as you want within reason. Costco/Sam's Club/HomeDepot have some nice "muscle racks" that could also help with the aesthetic as well.

I don't really want to go tank backing tank like Cory did, because that's a lot of real estate. However, I have considered multiple rows that are perpendicular to the wall. This would create an aisle that allows access to both the front and back of tanks and I could go higher this way. I appreciate the "muscle racks" idea, but I'll likely build with 2Xs due to the cost/ease of build. Doing the dado style horizontals is fairly easy and provides a lot of support. If momma wants them to look pretty, then I'll take the time and paint them. With it being in the basement though, that may not be an issue.

I'd also sort the tanks based off of what you plan to put into them. It would be jarring to have 1 freshwater tank next to a saltwater tank, which has another freshwater tank next to it ad infinitum.

This is a good call. I'll likely go freshwater in my larger tanks and want a rack of freshwater tanks as well. I loved having the 125 as a mixed reef, but it was a pain reaching the bottom (I'm 5'7"). The 150 is even taller, so I can't imagine reaching fallen frags in a 30" deep tank. I'll have to see what makes sense in a salt rack vs fresh rack. Thanks for that advice!

Can you give us the dimensions of each of the tanks (max length x max width x max height in the case of bowfronts, etc.), as well as how much area you have to work with?

I need to go measure these as I've wondered if they're all standard measurements or how much the different brands vary in the same sizes (ie: are all 55s 13" or are some 12.75 wide?). Will 1/4" make that big of a difference or do I just pick the widest and make that my standard? As for the amount of space in the basement, I'll measure that out tomorrow as well.

Also, I highly recommend looking into Google Sketchup; it's free and with a little bit of learning you can figure out how to model where the tanks can go and stuff.

When I found Sketchup years ago, I thought it was going to be a great free CAD program and unfortunately, I've wasted more time trying to learn it than I have actually drawn. It's easier for me to just use graph paper and a pencil or set up cells in Excel to represent 1" squares and electronically sketch.

You've given me some great things to think about. Thank you!

OP
OP
ChuzUThisDay

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on having all of those tanks on a central filtration system, or in multiple filtration systems (ex. one filtration system per rack), or plan to filter each tank?

When planning for my "fish space" (can't have a fish room just yet), since I'm going to attempt to have 2 4' long sections (one for fresh, one for salt), I decided that the saltwater part would have a 55 sump on the bottom to handle all the protein skimming and stuff, while the freshwater systems can manage off of an air pump.

I will likely try to do central filtration. I want to waterfall the top row overflow to the 2nd row, 2nd to the 3rd, etc. then to a central sump. It will make it easier for water changes out of the sump vs individual tanks and likewise for top off. That means there will be a saltwater sump and a freshwater sump. I can also heat in one location. I can see me sticking with New World cichlids that will require similar parameters, so a central freshwater system should be ok (but who knows what will actually come of all this).

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really want to go tank backing tank like Cory did, because that's a lot of real estate. However, I have considered multiple rows that are perpendicular to the wall. This would create an aisle that allows access to both the front and back of tanks and I could go higher this way. I appreciate the "muscle racks" idea, but I'll likely build with 2Xs due to the cost/ease of build. Doing the dado style horizontals is fairly easy and provides a lot of support. If momma wants them to look pretty, then I'll take the time and paint them. With it being in the basement though, that may not be an issue.
I need to go measure these as I've wondered if they're all standard measurements or how much the different brands vary in the same sizes (ie: are all 55s 13" or are some 12.75 wide?). Will 1/4" make that big of a difference or do I just pick the widest and make that my standard? As for the amount of space in the basement, I'll measure that out tomorrow as well.
When I found Sketchup years ago, I thought it was going to be a great free CAD program and unfortunately, I've wasted more time trying to learn it than I have actually drawn. It's easier for me to just use graph paper and a pencil or set up cells in Excel to represent 1" squares and electronically sketch.

Unsure what dado style is, but it sounds like you've got a good idea of what to do! And I appreciate the usage of 2x4s. With all the expenses that come with setting up a fish space and not solitary tanks, sometimes it's nice to have something relatively cheap.

Regarding tank measurements, I'm not sure. I know that the rims can add quite a bit of space that adds up over time, but I don't know for certain.

I feel you on the Sketchup stuff. But I think it'll be useful for in the future for me...although now I want to know how you use an excel sheet to 3d model everything.

I will likely try to do central filtration. I want to waterfall the top row overflow to the 2nd row, 2nd to the 3rd, etc. then to a central sump. It will make it easier for water changes out of the sump vs individual tanks and likewise for top off. That means there will be a saltwater sump and a freshwater sump. I can also heat in one location. I can see me sticking with New World cichlids that will require similar parameters, so a central freshwater system should be ok (but who knows what will actually come of all this).

Note on the waterfall draining: I've heard that it tends to lose heat a lot more easily when using this type of draining method. I'll still be using the method, but if you're keeping heat sensitive fish (cough*discus and seahorses*cough), it's something to keep in mind.

Are you planning on PVC pipeing everything from the two central sumps? That might be something else to keep in mind, especially since water drains downwards, and if you have a lot of tanks, it'll be...interesting, to get everything in place. I recommend unions. Lots and lots of unions.

OP
OP
ChuzUThisDay

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've planned out several options, but with 2x4s over $7 each and 2x6s over $12, all is paused. I've been waiting to see if prices will drop back to normal, but I'm being told that it may be next spring before lumber returns to normal prices :eek:.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've planned out several options, but with 2x4s over $7 each and 2x6s over $12, all is paused. I've been waiting to see if prices will drop back to normal, but I'm being told that it may be next spring before lumber returns to normal prices :eek:.
Wait, I'm new to the whole "buying lumber" thing. $7 and $12 is expensive? What was the (pre-COVID) price?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back