Rad low tech 150 gallon build

reefrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, upgrading to a 150 gallon after having a fluval 13.5 gallon for a while. Mostly been thinking about getting a bigger tank to keep larger fish but after having success with anemones and acro I’m trying to find the balance between lots of room to swim and enough space for corals. Probably should have posted earlier but hoping to get a sanity check now before getting too far. I’m slowly piecing things together but hope to get it cycling soon. Any thoughts on the basic coral layout?

2549579D-473D-407F-A96D-BA39174D3B93.jpeg

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any coral yet, so can’t comment on that, but I really like the rockwork on the right hand side! Can I ask if/what fish you’re going to stock?

OP
OP
R

reefrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any coral yet, so can’t comment on that, but I really like the rockwork on the right hand side! Can I ask if/what fish you’re going to stock?
Thanks, trying to do a minimalist look that flows. There are lots of hiding places in the larger rock work plus lots of open swimming area.

I really like yellow tangs so that will be the first addition. I’ll probably add a couple other tangs then some other fish like goby’s plus invertebrates. Any coral you have been thinking of getting?

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, trying to do a minimalist look that flows. There are lots of hiding places in the larger rock work plus lots of open swimming area.

I really like yellow tangs so that will be the first addition. I’ll probably add a couple other tangs then some other fish like goby’s plus invertebrates. Any coral you have been thinking of getting?
I have an Acan I need to pick up from living reef Orlando after I get my new tank up and running this weekend. Fingers crossed I don’t kill it immediately :grimacing-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I have read they need good blue light around 80 par to do well

OP
OP
R

reefrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Acan I need to pick up from living reef Orlando after I get my new tank up and running this weekend. Fingers crossed I don’t kill it immediately :grimacing-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I have read they need good blue light around 80 par to do well
Nice, acans are awesome. They were one of my first corals and must be hardy because it grown over the past year. Good luck with the tank setup

OP
OP
R

reefrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some stuff going on in the tank. Added a pair of blue throated trigger fish which we really enjoy watching. Also in the tank is a six line, firefish, and watchman goby. I think the first major mistake I made with the tank was putting is a continuously power head and now I’m thinking about but a nero 7 or equivalent in. Also planning to add a mandarin goby, yellow tang, and hippo tang soon, any other fish people would recommend?

IMG_0728.jpeg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back