jwilliams860

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I contacted them at the end of March.
I haven't received anything yet.
I just got my stuff last week. Had originally opened a ticket prior to covid, they were not fully staffed and asked I email back, so I waited a few weeks.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an XR15 Gen5 PRO yesterday from Live Aquaria and it came in just fine. I have no damage to the fixture or issues using Mobius. My fan is also really quiet. I had to get up close and shine a flashlight on the fixture to ensure that it was properly working.

The packaging must have been updated because the accessories were packed away in seperate compartments by cardboard from the main fixture unit which sat alone. I have a manufacturing date of April 7th 2020.

I have another XR15 PRO on order from BRS. I will let you all know what that one looks like when it arrives.

One thing I will say, these little suckers are BRIGHT! Glad I went with the PRO as opposed to the BLUE. I tried out the AB+ template and it is much to blue to my eye. On the PRO I am going to start it setup with all channels at 100% except for RED and Green which will be set to 25% each. I'm an old school reefer and enjoy a much whiter and more natural looking reef. I am sure that once I add some corals into the tank there will be some adjustments made but right now this spectrum is most pleasing to my eyes.

Ill report back in a couple weeks when I receive my second fixture from BRS. Two XR15 PRO's will be going over a 3ft 50gl home office reef.

*EDIT: I should mention that I only used Mobius for one day and it worked fine. Only time will tell if the it continues to work properly.

IMG-5399.jpg

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an XR15 Gen5 PRO yesterday from Live Aquaria and it came in just fine. I have no damage to the fixture or issues using Mobius. My fan is also really quiet. I had to get up close and shine a flashlight on the fixture to ensure that it was properly working.

The packaging must have been updated because the accessories were packed away in seperate compartments by cardboard from the main fixture unit which sat alone. I have a manufacturing date of April 7th 2020.

I have another XR15 PRO on order from BRS. I will let you all know what that one looks like when it arrives.

One thing I will say, these little suckers are BRIGHT! Glad I went with the PRO as opposed to the BLUE. I tried out the AB+ template and it is much to blue to my eye. On the PRO I am going to start it setup with all channels at 100% except for RED and Green which will be set to 25% each. I'm an old school reefer and enjoy a much whiter and more natural looking reef. I am sure that once I add some corals into the tank there will be some adjustments made but right now this spectrum is most pleasing to my eyes.

Ill report back in a couple weeks when I receive my second fixture from BRS. Two XR15 PRO's will be going over a 3ft 50gl home office reef.

*EDIT: I should mention that I only used Mobius for one day and it worked fine. Only time will tell if the it continues to work properly.

IMG-5399.jpg
+1 the ab+ is too blue. I crank up the whites to get it where I like.

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech customer service is always pretty great when you are under warranty, which all of these issues fall under. It’s just a bummer so many issues got through QC, whether with Versa, G5 Radion, etc.

If you aren’t purchasing for a few months, the Mobius connectivity issues should be resolved as well.

That said..... the Philips CoralCare fixtures are going to be released soon, and they are absolutely something to look into. I’ve yet to ever hear something negative about ReeFi either.

That philips unit looks very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye out for that one.

m88a2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my stuff last week. Had originally opened a ticket prior to covid, they were not fully staffed and asked I email back, so I waited a few weeks.
How did the new housing look/feel? Do you think it was a tooling issue vs a materials issue?

OP
OP
jwilliams860

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I received a new lense and lense cover for my xr30, it does appear to be the same material. I assume these are being over tightened at assembly.

They did come with full printed instructions on your to do the swap and an Allen key so it appears they are aware of the issues.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I received a new lense and lense cover for my xr30, it does appear to be the same material. I assume these are being over tightened at assembly.

They did come with full printed instructions on your to do the swap and an Allen key so it appears they are aware of the issues.
There is supposed to be some sort of backing support attached to the cases, like a nut, or more material.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well after a 8 week wait, I finally received a package from ETM.
I opened it and it contained 3 new clear plastic lens covers.

Why in the world would you, @Tim at EcoTech send me lens covers, when clearly the problem was cracked cases.
You have the pictures. ???????

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a 8 week wait, I finally received a package from ETM.
I opened it and it contained 3 new clear plastic lens covers.

Why in the world would you, @Tim at EcoTech send me lens covers, when clearly the problem was cracked cases.
You have the pictures. ???????
Sorry for such a disappointing experience ;Facepalm

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo!!! Glad to see a thread on this, purchase an XR30 blue this weekend and same issue, cracked at the screws. Is the same issue in the pros as well? Curious to know...

OP
OP
jwilliams860

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yo!!! Glad to see a thread on this, purchase an XR30 blue this weekend and same issue, cracked at the screws. Is the same issue in the pros as well? Curious to know...
Yes it was across the board with the earliest ones shipped. What's your build date?

Contact ecotech, they will send you a new cover free of charge and it takes like 10 min to swap out.

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was across the board with the earliest ones shipped. What's your build date?

Contact ecotech, they will send you a new cover free of charge and it takes like 10 min to swap out.
Wow, that sucks!!! My tanks been running since 01/25/2020. It’s a Red Sea Reefer 170 bought the version that came with the LED90, the light does great, however, I wanted to upgrade it... I just bought the XR30 this past Saturday, 03/13/2021. Hope this answered your question. I took the light back to my LFS, he’s going to get me a new one . But if it’s going to be the same issue, thinking I might just have to call eco tech and get a replacement. Also thinking about getting the diffuser that attaches to it. To at least prevent any plastic pieces that may break off from getting in my tank. Any thoughts? Thanks for you reply.

OP
OP
jwilliams860

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would contact Ecotech, let them send you the right parts and do the swap yourself, it's very easy. I've had no other issues with mine, and nothing plastic breaking off and falling in the tank. It was an issue with the screws being over tightened and causing stress fractures in the plastic.

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact Ecotech, let them send you the right parts and do the swap yourself, it's very easy. I've had no other issues with mine, and nothing plastic breaking off and falling in the tank. It was an issue with the screws being over tightened and causing stress fractures in the plastic.
Thank you for the info, will probably end up doing that. Just waiting on my LFS to get back to me, going to be calling him soon. Again, thank you for all the information, greatly appreciate it. :cool:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back