Radion Gen 3 Lighting Schedule for SPS

Skeptical Whale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I recently upgraded my lights to Radion Gen 3's from MH on my 150 gallon mixed reef. I was hoping someone who has had the lights long enough could tell me what is the best schedule (preset or custom) to get great colors out of sps.

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to see what program schedules others are running as well. Do most people just stick with the presets?

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I programmed my own but based them off of the presets. I go from all blue to 12k then to 20k then back down to all blue and then off.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with those. If you have a newer model, it doesn't register on some of the channels that the newer versions have.

OP
OP
Skeptical Whale

Skeptical Whale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up! So far they're working amazing. sps are coloring up great and growth is great as well

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After TONS of reading and talking to a local coral farm growing nice SPS and a few other high end tank owners and from the personal experience i've had with it i've come to the conclusion that the Radiant Color program at 80-90 percent Is the best for coral growth and coloration. White LEDS burn corals EXPECIALLY 5 watt LEDS reds are also not used much by corals and can burn them. Radiant color program runs 55% overall intensity on the white LEDS and only 37% of the overall intensity of the reds. its basically two hours of 20k in the morning 8 hours of around 15k and then two more hours of 20k in the evenings. I personally tweaked mine so the Blue period was at a higher intensity in the mornings. I run my lights from 930A to 930P my tank is sps heavy with RBTA and various lps on the bottom all very happy. just start at 40 percent and VERY gradually work your way up keep in mind that these lights are honestly no joke and will burn your stuff up right now. HAPPY REEFING

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also SCHWINGS graph runs no UV big mistake in my opinion that is one of the aspects of this light that really make it "shine" no pun intended when it comes to growth

60squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i'm not sure if any of you read far enough into it but SCHWING or whatever his name is Grew all that coral under ATI sunpower t5's and switched to radions shortly after tearing down the tank

OP
OP
Skeptical Whale

Skeptical Whale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is UV in my schedule, but I just really like the overall look of my tank using his schedule. If I start getting problems with it I'll definitely use the radiant schedule then. Awesome to hear some input!

jcacuracl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also using this light schedule but there only issue I have is the setting the lunar phase. I currently have 2 gen3 Radion for my 120 gallon. Have anyone tried else tried modifying Schwing schedule? I've tried add more points after sunset for the lunar phase but it refuse to turn on. Getting pretty frustrated. Please help!!!!!

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After TONS of reading and talking to a local coral farm growing nice SPS and a few other high end tank owners and from the personal experience i've had with it i've come to the conclusion that the Radiant Color program at 80-90 percent Is the best for coral growth and coloration. White LEDS burn corals EXPECIALLY 5 watt LEDS reds are also not used much by corals and can burn them. Radiant color program runs 55% overall intensity on the white LEDS and only 37% of the overall intensity of the reds. its basically two hours of 20k in the morning 8 hours of around 15k and then two more hours of 20k in the evenings. I personally tweaked mine so the Blue period was at a higher intensity in the mornings. I run my lights from 930A to 930P my tank is sps heavy with RBTA and various lps on the bottom all very happy. just start at 40 percent and VERY gradually work your way up keep in mind that these lights are honestly no joke and will burn your stuff up right now. HAPPY REEFING

I tried moving my gen 3 pros to 75% but some of my sps started to loose color (on radiant color pre set). On the borderline of bleaching.. I was at 65% for a while then bumped it up over the course of 2 weeks to 75%. Im at 70% now but I think im moving it back to 65%. 80-90% seems super intense to me.. Although I wish i could bump it up that high just for the overall look of the tank being that bright. Oh, also started to get a lot more algae growth when i hit 75%..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back