Radion height over frag tank for best spread?

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a frag QT tank and I have a 6’x3’ flood tray that’s about 6” deep. I want to get 3 radions for it but I’m trying to decide between the xr30’s and xr15’s. I’ve seen lfs with high mounted leds over very shallow tanks with what looked like great spread due to the light being upwards of 2’ - 3’ .

Let me know if you have experience with this. Thanks!

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a frag QT tank and I have a 6’x3’ flood tray that’s about 6” deep. I want to get 3 radions for it but I’m trying to decide between the xr30’s and xr15’s. I’ve seen lfs with high mounted leds over very shallow tanks with what looked like great spread due to the light being upwards of 2’ - 3’ .

Let me know if you have experience with this. Thanks!

This might help:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poll-new-frag-tank-height.376907/

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pair of 15 pros over my deep blue 60 (48x24x12) and have them about 7” over the water to get full coverage. You generally don’t have to worry about shading in a frag tank, for intuitively obvious reasons, so I’d think a trio of 15s would suffice in your case.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back