• Other

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters

mpsteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking to buy a new Frag tank and I keep going back and fourth on what height to go with. If you guys could vote in the poll and give me a reason why it would be great. 3/4 of this tank will be grow out and 1/4 Frag racks. Tank will be holding sps only

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking to buy a new Frag tank and I keep going back and fourth on what height to go with. If you guys could vote in the poll and give me a reason why it would be great.
Is this going to be a frag grow out tank? Or a traveling to frag swap tank? Or a display frag tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of frags are you going to primarily be keeping?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say the shallower the better. The deeper you go the more par you lose. So if you do a shallow tank you can better get the blanket par coverage for all the corals both near the center and the outer edges.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go deeper for more volume and the flexibility to put some corals in lower light if need be, you can always elevate your frag racks. Also I would think having some room beneath the frags would help keep detritus from settling on the bottom of the tank...but hey i've never actually owned a frag tank.

Redcar802

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my frag tank. If I knew better I would've went with a shallower tank.. was looking into low boys but don't like how thin the glass is. My 3x2 frag tank is almost half inch thick. Anyways some cons of going with shallow tank. Easy to take pictures and par. Dietrious on the bottom will be quick just have a power head on the bottom to blow it up. Currently running the 1st gen gyre and it's still kicking butt. Also if the racks are low your fist woudnt be hidding underneath like mine lol. With light adjustment just move the frag away from the center of the light.
Hope this help
f1d960a4191ca7e80cb763646807179f.jpg

OP
OP
mpsteve

mpsteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my frag tank. If I knew better I would've went with a shallower tank.. was looking into low boys but don't like how thin the glass is. My 3x2 frag tank is almost half inch thick. Anyways some cons of going with shallow tank. Easy to take pictures and par. Dietrious on the bottom will be quick just have a power head on the bottom to blow it up. Currently running the 1st gen gyre and it's still kicking ***. Also if the racks are low your fist woudnt be hidding underneath like mine lol. With light adjustment just move the frag away from the center of the light.
Hope this help
f1d960a4191ca7e80cb763646807179f.jpg

What height is your tank

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just picked up a brand new frag tank with 24"x36"x8" dimensions. I was initially going to buy 1 Radion XR30 Pro, but instead got 2 XR15s so that I could zone both sides of the tank. So if I feel a certain piece does better at a lower par I'll scoot him over to the left and if another frag likes to be blasted then I can make a home for it over on the right side. I like doing it this way as I've always felt that racking one on top of another to vary the par was a bit cumbersome.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

current_frag
by Kyl, on Flickr

Mine is 30" x 22" x 10", those dimensions were to fit in a closet. So far I'm overall happy with it, but there's quite the mess right now with fish, clams, and a jumble of old tank excess stock. A bit limited for height so light coverage is more centered than I'd like, but it's working for now and low-light things can eventually be kept on the sides. It's Blackbox & 2x 24" Blue+ T5 lit.

Something that a local high end SPS guy with a shallow frag tank told me is he wished his tank was 12" not 10", since the gyres and WAV's in it blow right against the coral. I only have five low end sps sticks in there and they rock around from the two SW-40 pumps on the side, not sure if that will be a problem.

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go 12 min but most likely 16-18. Yes swallow tank will give you higher par but I think at 18 inches versus 8 inches the difference will be min and nothing your lights can’t overcome.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 pack of low boys. Some said they are wimpy. Yeah not the most beefy tank I have ever encountered. If you make your stand properly they are fine. I have drilled the hell out of them and no issues. But yeah next to an aqueon 40 breeder they seem under built. But for the cost there is no more cost effective way. As for flow, the newest gen gyres seem happy in a low boy.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to have frag tanks a little bit higher in order to get more water volume and more stable values. I just mount the frag racks higher to get more light. But at least 8" from surface for the sake of circulation.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think it matters. I've had a 12" tall DeepBlue and never felt I wanted higher .... or shallower.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back