Radion vs. SKY vs. AP9X

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the thoughts on the best LED lighting system out there? Performance, reliability and ease-of-use? I currently have EcoTech Radion G5 Blues, but I’m debating switching over to something like the Neptune SKY or Kessil AP9X (the latter two which can be controlled through Apex Fusion). I’ve begun to abhor Mobius with a passion. Am I better off just sticking with my Radion G5s or looking at one of the two newer contenders? Any feedback from SKY and AP9X owners would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's the spread/ coverage data from BRS (24 cube). The hotspots in the Blue and AP9X are due to the reflection off of the internal glass. All have a drop off in the back due to the black paint.
1631061173371.png

Anecodtal experience:
Radion fans are loud. I've had an A160 and A360x from Kessil. The fans are quiet. Same with Sky, the fans are quiet.

Radion control can be glitchy. Kessil and Sky control seems to be more reliable.

Radion blue has that greenish blue color (480 nm). Kessil and Sky have more of the royal blue (440 nm) and violet look.

All have similar build quality. I would say of the 3, my A360x had the best build quality. Yes, Radion had initial issues but they made it right. That being said when I was choosing between trying sky vs buying a few used XR30's, the cracked cover experience entered into my decision.

Support from Kessil was amazing. Ecotech and Neptune have been similar (responsive to questions).

Upvote 0

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the spread/ coverage data from BRS (24 cube). The hotspots in the Blue and AP9X are due to the reflection off of the internal glass. All have a drop off in the back due to the black paint.
1631061173371.png

Anecodtal experience:
Radion fans are loud. I've had an A160 and A360x from Kessil. The fans are quiet. Same with Sky, the fans are quiet.

Radion control can be glitchy. Kessil and Sky control seems to be more reliable.

Radion blue has that greenish blue color (480 nm). Kessil and Sky have more of the royal blue (440 nm) and violet look.

All have similar build quality. I would say of the 3, my A360x had the best build quality. Yes, Radion had initial issues but they made it right. That being said when I was choosing between trying sky vs buying a few used XR30's, the cracked cover experience entered into my decision.

Support from Kessil was amazing. Ecotech and Neptune have been similar (responsive to questions).
Thanks for the input. I was thinking Radions, but I prefer a royal blue/violet look instead the blue green look

Upvote 0

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 500x, can’t hear the fan, powerful light, ease of mounting. I use the dongle and a phone, works great. Ease of setting, no playing around trying to find correct spectrum

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back