Next generation Neptune Apex review.

If you have a new Apex controller, are you satisfied with it?

• Yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think if New e-bar will be backward compatible with old systems?
I've spoken with Neptune, so first about my review of the Apex and some updated information. I was under the impression from some media and reports that I read, that you could not use the Apex classic energybar with the new Apex. I was wrong, the Apex classic energybar is compatible with the new Apex. You can connect your old energy bar via aquabus to the new Apex and it should sync up fine. What you cannot do, is use the new energybar 832 with the old Apex Classic. If you purchase just an energybar 832 and connect it to your Apex classic, it will not work. Neptune Systems will continue to sell the energybar classic as it allows aquarists to save money (roughly 80 bucks) if they have items they want Apex controlled, but aren't interested in having power monitoring on.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most new products there are bugs and possible issues. Those who leap at a new design pay for those disappointments. Rule of thumb always wait 6 months until the bugs are worked out before placing life on line .. which includes our tanks and all the $$$$ we spend on fish and coral. I love Neptune's products and these issues will pass in time.. I remember when the Apex was upgraded to the new design last time and the issues I had with the software releases years ago... but now the (not new - current version is great).

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its too bad classic users cannot mixmatch some orange stuff. I am now expecting an upgrade program. I bought classic, 4 -5 months ago and is still waiting in box. Thank God there is no big difference by means of functionality. Just minor stuff, wifi and power monitoring is no big deal. Just put a camera in front of energy bar and watch the kill-a-watt you put where its most needed.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I returned my new Apex. Dont want to bother others here with the same old story of the issues ive had with my specific unit, as my intention was to never bring the name Apex down, but only help others with what I was going through. I started looking obviously at the Cerebra forums, as it seems to be an alternative controller with lots of hype around it.

I must say that with as much dissapointment as I have at this time for not being able to trust/rely on my preferred controller, i just can't picture myself with a different one. I actually miss the darn thing already. Ive owned an Apex previously and never had issues with it. I went from someone who didnt care much/understand the real need for a controller to someone glued to a computer on a daily basis looking for new releases from that company... I bought their products because I learned by experience they meant value.

Yesterday after I took my Apex off the wall, frustrated, I even messaged Terence(sorry man, if you read this!) saying how I trusted the company, but saw no solution for my owned controller's situation other than returning it. Terence quickly responded, thanking the support and appologized for the problems.

I kind of feel at this time like someone who loves a team, but is dishartened from a big game loss looking for ways to overcome it.
Instead of feeling more and more like looking for other controller options out there, I actually am planning to re aquire the New Apex again in the near future. I am positive Neptune will overcome these present issues and I encourage anyone looking to buy a controller to strongly consider the Apex.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I returned my new Apex. Dont want to bother others here with the same old story of the issues ive had with my specific unit, as my intention was to never bring the name Apex down, but only help others with what I was going through. I started looking obviously at the Cerebra forums, as it seems to be an alternative controller with lots of hype around it.

I must say that with as much dissapointment as I have at this time for not being able to trust/rely on my preferred controller, i just can't picture myself with a different one. I actually miss the **** thing already. Ive owned an Apex previously and never had issues with it. I went from someone who didnt care much/understand the real need for a controller to someone glued to a computer on a daily basis looking for new releases from that company... I bought their products because I learned by experience they meant value.

Yesterday after I took my Apex off the wall, frustrated, I even messaged Terence(sorry man, if you read this!) saying how I trusted the company, but saw no solution for my owned controller's situation other than returning it. Terence quickly responded, thanking the support and appologized for the problems.

I kind of feel at this time like someone who loves a team, but is dishartened from a big game loss looking for ways to overcome it.
Instead of feeling more and more like looking for other controller options out there, I actually am planning to re aquire the New Apex again in the near future. I am positive Neptune will overcome these present issues and I encourage anyone looking to buy a controller to strongly consider the Apex.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I certainly hope you didn't suffer any losses due to a faulty controller. Sadly, this is one of the bad things about tech and reefs mixing, and 15 years ago we didn't have these concerns, but 15 years ago out tanks got wiped out from simple equipment failure, or our inability to maintain stable environmental. Still, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. If you did lose something, let me know, as I often donate a lot of frags and small colonies to reef keepers around my area, and have no qualms shipping something out to you. I have some really beautiful pieces that will need new homes soon (and by soon, I mean yesterday).

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it can't be trusted, just that wi-if (on any device, from Apple TV, Chromecast to smart bulbs and home security) isn't the most reliable way of maintaining a connection. Devices that requires ironclad reliability but utilize wi-if (like Honeywell smart thermostats and wi-if integrated security systems installed by ISPs) often utilize stand alone router like devices to provide access to their devices. For example, if Comcast installs a security system in your home, they install a router hard-wired into the home's main router that manages the security system, so there is no interference between it and other devices. The same for Honeywell's smart thermostat, which comes with a router that manages only the thermostat.

Everything is wifi these days, and overall it works well enough, but it isn't without some challenges. For example, I have smart bulbs installed throughout my house - controlled by a several wireless hubs that connects to the wall outlet. If those can's sync with the cloud server (which happens fairly often) then you have no control over the bulb. Anything that is cloud controlled (which is most wireless devices) poses the same risks.

If you do the research at neptune hooking the new system up , or the quick start instructions, They say to hook it up wired then wireless so there is a backup:rolleyes:
Just Saying:rolleyes:

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
direct from quick start
///////////////////////
Recommendation

Hardwired will always be the preferred, most reliable method of connecting your Apex to the Internet.

We all know how redundancy is so valuable in our hobby, so it is recommended to still setup a Wi-Fi connection to your home network. That way if for any reason your cable connection has an issue you can still have access to your controller using a Wi-Fi connection.

To do this, simply unplug the Ethernet cable and click here (or on the image to the left).

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darryl - you're correct. Many people had major problems with the Apex Classic because they didn't follow instructions when doing firmware updates. Instructions specifically state that you need a hard-wired connection to complete a firmware update without issue. However, I've seen the Neptune Support forums flooded with requests from people who simply ignored that instruction and proceeded with a firmware update, using a computer connected to their network wirelessly. I am not sure I agree with the idea that devices today need to be so smart that they don't require an instruction manual, and rely solely on the user's intuition to set-up. I've had more issues with smart devices that came with a limited manual (largely because there was no information to turn too if the quick set-up didn't work) than I have more complex devices that included documentation on how to set them up (whether online or on paper). Some of the newer smart products include little more than an index card with information on how to set them up, which can make it tricky for many people.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your experience. I certainly hope you didn't suffer any losses due to a faulty controller. Sadly, this is one of the bad things about tech and reefs mixing, and 15 years ago we didn't have these concerns, but 15 years ago out tanks got wiped out from simple equipment failure, or our inability to maintain stable environmental. Still, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. If you did lose something, let me know, as I often donate a lot of frags and small colonies to reef keepers around my area, and have no qualms shipping something out to you. I have some really beautiful pieces that will need new homes soon (and by soon, I mean yesterday).
HI Jeremy, thank you for the kindness, fortunately I did not lose anything. I'm trying to find a way to get a controller back running my system. Hoping soon Neptune has these issues fixed so I can go back and order a new Apex again!

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Jeremy, thank you for the kindness, fortunately I did not lose anything. I'm trying to find a way to get a controller back running my system. Hoping soon Neptune has these issues fixed so I can go back and order a new Apex again!
Do you have your old Apex. If not, I will gladly send you one of my old units. I was mistaken in thinking the old energy bar was incompatible with the new Apex. In fact, it is - you just can't use the new energy bar with the old Apex. So that let me drop another unit.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your old Apex. If not, I will gladly send you one of my old units. I was mistaken in thinking the old energy bar was incompatible with the new Apex. In fact, it is - you just can't use the new energy bar with the old Apex. So that let me drop another unit.
LOL Jeremy you are indeed a classy guy. Unfortunately i did sell my old Apex to a friend right before I got the new one...but at this time I'm basicaly running my current set up without a controller, a small 57 gal. Im moving to my new house in 3 months so my plan was to start testing the new Apex until i started the new 150 gal project. Ive already gotten the Wavs, DOS and plan on the utility pump and FMM once they come out, which would then make a controller a must, but right now i can still get by reefing old school!
Thank you again for reaching out and being so generous.

Beauchampdj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not. Spent too much on this equipment for the amount of hardware failures it has. I'm a programmer so no issues there. But trying to get support in any fashion is nonexistent you have to use their email system and mail back and forth while your fish are gasping for air...
Will never invest in any product from the company. Terrible product and support.

Back