Radion XR15 G4 Pro or G5 Blue

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How hot are your center "hot spots" as far as par? Part of the reason I ended up flipping mine parallel, couldn't get edge par without super high PAR in the center. I think 80% intensity is a sweet spot, which gives headroom in a Pro to balance.
I haven’t really measured par in my tank. My acros are around 6-8” below the waterline.

I remember that you have multiple units on your tank, where as my nano has only 1 light on it. I won’t be running the lights this high if I had multiple units on a 4ft tank or so.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a diffuser on mine as well. It dose not cut down on the overall par, but blends the light a little better. There is some interesting data on this thread.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about trading my blue for pro (mostly out of curiosity). However I would be loosing two channels and as per reef builders, they see better color in SPS with the blues.

I also have not seen any tanks that run G5 pro in person. Hence don’t really know how different the look is.
Reefbuilders comparison was against the G4 pro's, not the G5.
And G5 Pro + Blue have an equal amount of channels.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Reefbuilders comparison was against the G4 pro's, not the G5.
And G5 Pro + Blue have an equal amount of channels.
They have equal number of channels, but different color channels.

As I recall it they are comparing G5 blue vs G5 pro on the spectrum/coral coloring up part and G5 vs G4 on everything else. They mention it in the article that they use both G5 Blue and G5 Pro.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take any G5 over any G4 simply because of the improved technology. You can make any BLUE look like a PRO simply by reducing the blue channels a little.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have equal number of channels, but different color channels.

As I recall it they are comparing G5 blue vs G5 pro on the spectrum/coral coloring up part and G5 vs tG4 on everything else. They mention it in the article that they use both G5 Blue and G5 Pro.
Opinions differ on the matter. Some sold their blue's for pro's because sps look better under pro's:

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Opinions differ on the matter. Some sold their blue's for pro's because sps look better under pro's:

Definitely. It all comes down to personal preference. I think it is well established that even cheap blackbox LED can grow and color up SPS.

I would love to see a tank with G5 pro, in person. It’s really hard to know the difference form pictures and videos. All I can say it that G5 Blue is not as blue as the name suggests.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back