Real life Radion G5 Blue PAR results w/diffuser

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I thought I'd share my PAR measurements of my Radion G5 XR30 Blue. They are very different from the BRS testing, my 3" depth testing looks more like BRS's 6" depth testing. Not as PAR intense impressive as BRS tested. Once you drop below 4-5" the PAR drops substantially, however it holds good PAR then throughout the rest of the water column. This will make it difficult for mix reef tanks needing lower PAR on the sand, but High PAR up top.

Tank: Elos 70, 30"x22"x18". Data points are every 4". (X point is overflow, rock work, or cave)

Details: Test was done with an Apogee 510, all colors set to 100% with point intensity also at 100%. Mounted center of tank using RMS arm mount. Diffuser was on - saw an increase of PAR (better light blending?) or minimal to no decrease at shallow depth levels using the diffuser.

Additional Measurements taken at 9", 12" and 16" depth however is not "even" due to rock work beginning below 6". I saw drops in PAR at these deeper depths using the Diffuser that ranged anywhere from 5-15%.

I also tested PAR levels at lesser intensities and found that PAR readings dropped respectively to the intensity set point within +/- 10 points. Example PAR at 100%: 500, PAR at 75%: 375.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.31.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.47.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.48.10 AM.png

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It would have been nicer to see picture with spots where you took that measurements. :)

Jminasalli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my g5 blue now that I have the diffuser I’m trying to run a mixed reef with it so the decrease in par at the bottom was awesome for me. Also the colors blend amazing with it.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my g5 blue now that I have the diffuser I’m trying to run a mixed reef with it so the decrease in par at the bottom was awesome for me. Also, the colours blend amazing with it.
So the colour difference is really noticeable?i read some post where they said they can 't see improvement in colour with the eyes

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the info. It would have been nicer to see picture with spots where you took that measurements. :)
I have the rockwork plan with PAR taken on top of the rock work that I can mock up and post. You can kind of tell in the lower depth readings where the rocks/caves are since its a no reading or drops dramatically.

How high was your leds for the test?
See original Post. RMS mount so 8" above water line

I love my g5 blue now that I have the diffuser I’m trying to run a mixed reef with it so the decrease in par at the bottom was awesome for me. Also the colors blend amazing with it.
I agree the diffuser is really nice - no more disco, even with the minimal amount the G5 had. I did have increase PAR with the diffuser on higher in the tank (better light blending?) and anywhere from 5-20% reduction towards the bottom.

Jminasalli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rockwork plan with PAR taken on top of the rock work that I can mock up and post. You can kind of tell in the lower depth readings where the rocks/caves are since its a no reading or drops dramatically.

See original Post. RMS mount so 8" above water line

I agree the diffuser is really nice - no more disco, even with the minimal amount the G5 had. I did have increase PAR with the diffuser on higher in the tank (better light blending?) and anywhere from 5-20% reduction towards the bottom.
I had similar par results more up top with diffusers than no diffuser and less on the bottom.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Ya, it's great light I'm happy with it. It's just not all that "impressive" the BRS made it out to be with their testing video. The PAR is high higher he water column, but drops drastically in a little distance - say from 4" to 6" deep. It does however penetrate really well to the bottom. I figured with the quick drop off in PAR it would be less at depth, but held onto the 200-300 range.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it's great light I'm happy with it. It's just not all that "impressive" the BRS made it out to be with their testing video. The PAR is high higher he water column, but drops drastically in a little distance - say from 4" to 6" deep. It does however penetrate really well to the bottom. I figured with the quick drop off in PAR it would be less at depth, but held onto the 200-300 range.
200-300 at the bottom is more than enough,this mean that at the top it is already too much as sps need 200-300 and lps less

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
200-300 at the bottom is more than enough,this mean that at the top it is already too much as sps need 200-300 and lps less
I'm not new to this hobby and fully understand lighting requirements. In my experience, higher color SPS, especially Aussie, like to be baked with PAR around 500-600. Yes, PAR at 300 at the bottom will make it difficult for LPS, the light does not make it easy to do a mixed reef without heavy shading for the bottom created by grown out SPS up top.

giphy.gif

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I'd share my PAR measurements of my Radion G5 XR30 Blue. They are very different from the BRS testing, my 3" depth testing looks more like BRS's 6" depth testing. Not as PAR intense impressive as BRS tested. Once you drop below 4-5" the PAR drops substantially, however it holds good PAR then throughout the rest of the water column. This will make it difficult for mix reef tanks needing lower PAR on the sand, but High PAR up top.

Tank: Elos 70, 30"x22"x18". Data points are every 4". (X point is overflow, rock work, or cave)

Details: Test was done with an Apogee 510, all colors set to 100% with point intensity also at 100%. Mounted center of tank using RMS arm mount. Diffuser was on - saw an increase of PAR (better light blending?) or minimal to no decrease at shallow depth levels using the diffuser.

Additional Measurements taken at 9", 12" and 16" depth however is not "even" due to rock work beginning below 6". I saw drops in PAR at these deeper depths using the Diffuser that ranged anywhere from 5-15%.

I also tested PAR levels at lesser intensities and found that PAR readings dropped respectively to the intensity set point within +/- 10 points. Example PAR at 100%: 500, PAR at 75%: 375.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.31.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.47.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.48.10 AM.png
Excellent! I will compare your results to those I got from the Radion XR30 Gen5 Pro. That's a lot of work! Thanks!

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I just re-mapped the PAR in the tank but this time with points directly on the rock work. The numbers this time are better than the mapping before. This leads me to believe that the PAR output is not consistant through the photo period. This could be due to the current light temperature at time of reading, fan cooling speed, possible warm up or cool down time... not sure.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.29.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.30.04 PM.png

Last edited:

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers are different this time around because Mobius will make adjustments to your settings based on the time of day which in turn is based off your sunrise and sunset settings. I noticed that the program will adjust the overall intensity and color intensity based on the time of day.

When I ran my PAR testing I set everything up manually in the “Live demo” section. I have a couple diffusers on order for my pair of G5XR15 Pro’s.

I am very happy with the spread, intensity and color rendition of these fixtures.

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Your numbers are different this time around because Mobius will make adjustments to your settings based on the time of day which in turn is based off your sunrise and sunset settings. I noticed that the program will adjust the overall intensity and color intensity based on the time of day.

When I ran my PAR testing I set everything up manually in the “Live demo” section. I have a couple diffusers on order for my pair of G5XR15 Pro’s.

I am very happy with the spread, intensity and color rendition of these fixtures.
No, these measurements were not taking during the programmed schedule, but during the live demo manual control like you mentioned.

I’m not bashing them in anyway, I am happy with them as well. I just think they were “overhyped” or there might be some inconsistency with output as mentioned about with my two different readings.

ocsurferdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that BRS testing was conducted without diffuser. That alone will significantly change the results.

Jimmy James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi great write up. I’m running an XR30 gen5 blue point intensity 100% and overall intensity at 70% on the ab+ setting. When the light has ramped up on the cycle the fan comes on and stays on until it ramps down on the schedule and turns off. The fan runs at a constant level. In the Mobius setting the fan is enabled. Do you find the fan constantly runs on your lights?
Thanks

Jim

chaturai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@poi
So I just re-mapped the PAR in the tank but this time with points directly on the rock work. The numbers this time are better than the mapping before. This leads me to believe that the PAR output is not consistant through the photo period. This could be due to the current light temperature at time of reading, fan cooling speed, possible warm up or cool down time... not sure.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.29.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.30.04 PM.png
Are you still running this at at 100% point /100% scheduled intensity ? im experincing some issue with my power supply when runing above 80%

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@poi

Are you still running this at at 100% point /100% scheduled intensity ? im experincing some issue with my power supply when runing above 80%
I dumped mine and went to kessils. The G5 was a meh light for me. Don’t know why there is so much hype over them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back