radion xr15 g5 or hydra 32 hd

Kami2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 mixed reef tank. currently running a 61" aquatic life hybrid with 2 kessil 350 tuna blues. I'm trying to decide between the radion xr15 g5 (3 fixtures) and hydra 32 hd (3 fixtures). which one is better? I've read mix reviews on both.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just what I am doing but maybe it will help you. I have 4 hydra 26's and I will be switching to 3 xr15's blue once I save enough. I use the hybrid T5 also. The hydras have a lot of extra spectrums I personally dont use so I dont get the full potential or watts as I cut out most the whites and reds and greens. The new Hydras are the same way and they also use white lights for the moonlights, which I hate. This is all just my opinion. I guess you should decide what spectrums are most important to you. The xr15 has 50 LED's the hydra has 32. the Blues have mainly blue LEDs and you still get some of the other spectrums, just not overwhelmingly like the hydras are for me. It's just a waste for me to keep the hydras.

OP
OP
Kami2011

Kami2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just what I am doing but maybe it will help you. I have 4 hydra 26's and I will be switching to 3 xr15's blue once I save enough. I use the hybrid T5 also. The hydras have a lot of extra spectrums I personally dont use so I dont get the full potential or watts as I cut out most the whites and reds and greens. The new Hydras are the same way and they also use white lights for the moonlights, which I hate. This is all just my opinion. I guess you should decide what spectrums are most important to you. The xr15 has 50 LED's the hydra has 32. the Blues have mainly blue LEDs and you still get some of the other spectrums, just not overwhelmingly like the hydras are for me. It's just a waste for me to keep the hydras.
Thanks for the information. I was leaning towards the radions anyway.
The reason I’m asking everyone is because I’ve heard VERY mixed reviews on the radions. Things like the fans being loud and such.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. I was leaning towards the radions anyway.
The reason I’m asking everyone is because I’ve heard VERY mixed reviews on the radions. Thinks like the fans being loud and such.
Yeah for sure, they sound junky right now with the cracks and crumby app lol. I wont be buying mine for another 2 months or so. With 4 hydras, it's "enough" and I can take my time, I'm just saving a hundred dollars here and there so I am hoping most of these things get worked out before I buy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Typically, as you increase the par past a threshold, you increase the chromoprotein production to protect the coral, giving it more color, but slowing down the growth (such as Porites, which enters photoinhibition around a little under 200 par. I linked a great video below to explain.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back