Radion XR30 G5 - How Many??

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to change my lighting. I have a standard 4x2x2 tank with 100% SPS. All are frags at the moment. How many Radion XR30 G5’s would be optimal?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to replace the coverage an 8x54 Sunpower (assuming based on your signature), then you will need 4 of them. If you can live with shadows and hot and cold spots, then fewer is fine.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably two. I was skeptical about the coverage but with the G5's but the spread is very good and one more than adequate for a 24x24" area. I use three on a 6ft tank and two would do you.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to replace the coverage an 8x54 Sunpower (assuming based on your signature), then you will need 4 of them. If you can live with shadows and hot and cold spots, then fewer is fine.

Screw that! Not worth 4k to move from the ATI Sunpower to LED's. Thanks!

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably two. I was skeptical about the coverage but with the G5's but the spread is very good and one more than adequate for a 24x24" area. I use three on a 6ft tank and two would do you.

I was hoping 2 would be sufficient but others think more.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping 2 would be sufficient but others think more.

Personally I think that bad advise. Don't believe me watch then BRS videos with full analysis of coverage and par. Like I said I use 3 on a 200g 6ft SPS/LPS tank and no issues with shadowing, disco or too much shimmer. The G5, despite its other issues, is light years ahead of the G4 and IMO the first light fully capable of replacing MH and T5's. Tanks actually improved since I switched from MH/T5. Now if I had a fully grown out SPS tank I would probably add a 4th to mine if there was a problem with shadowing. Do the research and don't buy into the years old arguments between the MH vs T5 vs LED factions.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always want to compare and take the advice of people who are doing what you did. People who have never had 8x SunPower over their acropora think that what they do will scale, but it does not once you get out of frags. One of our locals had 8 units of Gen 4 XR 30s over standard 2x2x6 180g to replace just a 5 foot 8 bulb SunPower - to be fair, he does have more light on the ends now. People who have never used one underestimate the coverage and power of SunPower and also how packed mature acropora systems can be... which is why you see so many add 4x, or more, T5s as their colonies grow... you just gotta have the coverage. They mean well, but just don't know. The Gen 5 does appear to cover better, which is why I said 4 instead of more.

If you do just get 2 of the units, then don't sell your SunPower for 6-8 months until you are sure that you like the cones of higher light, lower spots on the outside and the shadowing. It can work, especially if you strategically place things, but it is not anything like what you have now.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always want to compare and take the advice of people who are doing what you did. People who have never had 8x SunPower over their acropora think that what they do will scale, but it does not once you get out of frags. One of our locals had 8 units of Gen 4 XR 30s over standard 2x2x6 180g to replace just a 5 foot 8 bulb SunPower - to be fair, he does have more light on the ends now. People who have never used one underestimate the coverage and power of SunPower and also how packed mature acropora systems can be... which is why you see so many add 4x, or more, T5s as their colonies grow... you just gotta have the coverage. They mean well, but just don't know. The Gen 5 does appear to cover better, which is why I said 4 instead of more.

If you do just get 2 of the units, then don't sell your SunPower for 6-8 months until you are sure that you like the cones of higher light, lower spots on the outside and the shadowing. It can work, especially if you strategically place things, but it is not anything like what you have now.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have two factors that are leading me to a possible lighting change. (1) I really miss the shimmer of my old MH or LED my wife has over her tank. (2) I seem to struggle to get the colors others with LED's seem to get. My colors seem more washed out and less vibrant. I know the Sunpower has better overall coverage, pack plenty of PAR, and are proven over and over. I added the SBReef SBars to get a little more "pop" but its not what you get from MH or LED's.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen the gen5s in person but I find it hard to believe that they are light years ahead. They're still basically a puck style with maybe a few extra square inches of puck size added on. Coverage is probably a bit better but will still have a cone effect. I look at the BRS 750XL (gen4s I know) as a great example of how many Radions are needed for an SPS serious tank. For a standard 120 mixed softie/lps tank I would do 2 XR30s, sps tank 3 units and wall to wall sps is 4 units. If you love the Radions then I would go straight to 3 Reefi Duo Extremes on your tank to get started. Or add 2 XHO Reefbrites to your Sunpower and if your corals still look drab then I wouldn't blame your lights anymore.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4x2x2 120 with sps frags and a bunch of LPS using 3 ReeFi duo extremes. Got rid of 4 G5 radions and couldn’t be happier with the results. Good luck!

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4x2x2 120 with sps frags and a bunch of LPS using 3 ReeFi duo extremes. Got rid of 4 G5 radions and couldn’t be happier with the results. Good luck!
Reeffi lights haven't been around as long as Radions. Still need to be proven over the years.

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to change my lighting. I have a standard 4x2x2 tank with 100% SPS. All are frags at the moment. How many Radion XR30 G5’s would be optimal?
Why would u need to ask? Seems like such a basic question. If your not sure get a pack of 12.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll actually be able to accomplish the required spread and par with two XR30 G5s or 3 XR15 G5s. Especially considering the fact that they're all still frags. I'd personally go with three then as the frags grow into colonies then add another.

@Tim at EcoTech, what do you say?

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running 3 xr15 g5s on my 120 4x2x2 on a sps frag +small colony tank. Running ab+ with intensity of 75%. I get 300+ par on higher parts of tank and 200 on sand.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I think that bad advise. Don't believe me watch then BRS videos with full analysis of coverage and par. Like I said I use 3 on a 200g 6ft SPS/LPS tank and no issues with shadowing, disco or too much shimmer. The G5, despite its other issues, is light years ahead of the G4 and IMO the first light fully capable of replacing MH and T5's. Tanks actually improved since I switched from MH/T5. Now if I had a fully grown out SPS tank I would probably add a 4th to mine if there was a problem with shadowing. Do the research and don't buy into the years old arguments between the MH vs T5 vs LED factions.
Agreed - I just bought 2 - for a 5 foot tank - and it is plenty - with no shadowing

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the xr 30 or 15?

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update....I went with three XR30 G5 Blues. I watched the BRS video and have them spaced at 11"24"11" at 8" off the water. I am running the preset AB+ setting with the whites turned down to 50%. I really like it so far but its only been a week. Time will tell.....

Last edited:

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update....I went with three XR30 G5 Blues. I watched the BRS video and have them spaced at 11"24"11" at 8" off the water. I am running the preset AB+ setting with the whites turned down to 50%. I really like it so far but its only been a week. Time will tell.....
Updates?

Back