Radiums vs. Non Radiums.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has probably been discussed before but I am thinking of switching to Radiums. Does the differance justify the higher cost?

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO: Radiums suck.

What I do not like about them
1.) They only fire on particular ballasts
2.) Corals at the bottom of my 24" tall tank are losing color
3.) The bulb is small. About 3" smaller than my Reflux

The only think I like about it is the color. After the life of these are gone, 4 more months, I will be changing back to Reflux.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love Radiums! LOL! I have to keep my light sensitive corals off on the side of the tank in my aquarium. I have sps on on all levels of my tank and my par is higher than any other bulbs I have used. I am using the lumen elite max reflectors though so that could help.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has probably been discussed before but I am thinking of switching to Radiums. Does the differance justify the higher cost?

What ballast you use and what you're comparing them to would help. Also, what wattage Radium...

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mugul socket- cannot beat reeflux 12k.
De HQI- Jebo/ Odysea, makes bulbs comparable to ushio, for like $20.

The reeflux bulbs are pretty poor par wise, I wouldn't even put them in my top 5, and I'm using one over one of my tanks right now. It will be replaced with something else... Also, I HIGHLY doubt that the Odyssea bulbs can come anywhere near an Ushio bulb, what makes you say they're comparable? Do you have anything to back up that claim?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only think I like about it is the color. After the life of these are gone, 4 more months, I will be changing back to Reflux.

1.) They fire on any electronic ballast and HQI, which isn't all that limiting IMO.

2.) There are a lot of factord invoilved with coral color, lighting just being one piece of the puzzle. I've seen plenty of tanks running radiums with very colorful corals on the sandbed.

3.) Not sure why that would matter.... The size of the bulb isn't going to determine intensity levels in any way.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the cost is justified IMO. i use nothing but 250 and 400 radium SE bulb and i love them. never had a problem and been suing them for nearly 8 years now. after trying every bulb and balast combo i could think of these are the bulbs i chose to stick with.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the 250w radium should be run on a HQI ballast to realize its full potential.

fatcasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
radium on galaxy ballast is the way to go, color is great and they don't seem to burn AS fast

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen TONS of different combo's in person (probably 75-100 different tanks) and I have to say my two favorite lighting setups are:

250w = DE Phoenix
400w = SE Radium

I'll be going with Radiums on my new tank.

I've also read the stats on par and both of these bulbs have great par #'s.

After asking hundreds of questions myself, the majority are happy they switched over to them.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen TONS of different combo's in person (probably 75-100 different tanks) and I have to say my two favorite lighting setups are:

250w = DE Phoenix
400w = SE Radium

I'll be going with Radiums on my new tank.

I've also read the stats on par and both of these bulbs have great par #'s.

After asking hundreds of questions myself, the majority are happy they switched over to them.

Just keep in mind that the "400w" Radiums are really a 360w bulb and will not last as long if driven by a 400w ballast.

OP
OP
KingRicky

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ballast you use and what you're comparing them to would help. Also, what wattage Radium...

I am currently running T-5's. I am thinking of going with 250w halides and want to know if the Radiums would be the better choice.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running radiums on a dimmable Lumatek ballast and Lumenmax Elite reflector. Was using de 250 before. Had to leave the ballast on the 150 watt setting, as the 175 was roasting some of the corals. Gonna have to work up to 250 and then the overdriven setting. I think the radium on a dimmable ballast is the way to go.

Joezreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the radiums are a little to blue IMP...I like the look of the 12k reeflux more white!

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 250W Radiums on Coralvue dimmable ballasts. My tank dimensions are 60x24x25. I use 2 large Lumenbrite fixtures. I grow LPS (Chalices / Acans) and Montis on the sand bed no problem.....

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the radiums are a little to blue IMP...I like the look of the 12k reeflux more white!

What ballast did you run them on? My Radiums on the correct M80 look almost just like my old Reeflux 12k on CV ballasts........

Underdriving them with an e-ballast makes them blue.

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.) ANY bulb should only be run on the ballast it was designed to be run on anyway. Radiums need to be driven by an M80 for proper color, intensity and life span.
2.) Are you running them on the correct ballast? What reflectors are you using? Are these light demanding corals that you are trying to grow on the bottom?
3.) Who cares? That's what good reflectors are for.

I run Radiums with M80 ballasts in LumenBright reflectors. They are hung 20" above the water WITH glass shields and pond netting (to keep the wrasses in). I've still got 360 PAR at the bottom of a 24" deep tank. Don't blame the bulb for your poor performance if you're not using it properly.

As for the cost, they can be had for less than $70 here;
Metal Halide lighting provides high output light that closely recreates the shimmering effect of bright tropical sun over a patch of coral reef.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back