Raise Alkalinity without Decreasing Calcium!

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? Dosing alkalinity supplements doesn't decrease calcium.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use the Alk portion of a 2-part additive.

Edit: As chipmunk mentioned, adding alk won't decrease calcium - unless you add so much at once so as to cause a precipitation event.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? Dosing alkalinity supplements doesn't decrease calcium.
Yes and no. The chemistry nerds will need to chime in, but I seem to recall adding one does have a resultant effect on the other. Maybe not initially, but with continued adding of one component I seem to recall can have an effect on the other.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. The chemistry nerds will need to chime in, but I seem to recall adding one does have a resultant effect on the other. Maybe not initially, but with continued adding of one component I seem to recall can have an effect on the other.

Over time calcium will decrease if you keep adding only carbonate/bicarbonate. But the effect isn't immediate. You would need to dose and use 10 dKh of alkalinity to reduce calcium by around 60 ppm through consumption. In a reef aquarium that uses 1 dKh per day, that's almost two weeks. There's no reaction that occurs that instantly decreases only calcium when you dose an alkalinity supplement.

The only exception is if you somehow change pH or alkalinity in such a way that causes precipitation. In those cases, both alkalinity and calcium would reduce, not just calcium.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others on just dose the alk part of two part.

Last edited:

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the same go for Calcium and Magnesium?

Yes, you can dose them all separate

I have a 2 Part, but buy Red Sea Alk for Alk dosing If I want to increase it separate from my other params.

I've been running my Alk in the mid to high 9's recently intentionally, so I did exactly what you're asking about.

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Since they can be dosed independently, in what situation(s) does it make sense to dose them in equal parts?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that depending on how much you dose and over what length of time, you are changing the relations between Sodium and Chlorine and Sodium Chloride with everything else in your tank. At some point this change can become accute without a balancing mechanism. You will need water changes to correct these imbalances. If you have a solid water change schedule keep on it and don't get lazy about it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have a two part that is designed for 1:1 dosing (not all are), that should be the default starting point. Dose both based on the alk need, and then if calcium is actually getting too high or low over time, adjust that dose.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back