Raise base rock

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting to play with Marco rock aquascaping. I like some of the character at the bottom of the base rock, kind of like a cove shoreline. If I leave as is, the 1-2” of sand would cover up much of that character. What is the best way to elevate the whole structure to allow the bottom detail to show?

- Attach acrylic rails underneath? Void space would fill with sand. Would this cause a problem down the road?
- Elevate on top of a 1” ceramic bio plate? Sand would cover. Added area for bacteria.
- Other ideas?

IMG_3834.jpeg

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached my rock structures to the saw cut stacks rock. In some cases I stacked those two high then Marco rock. That gave me more height(30 deep tank) and a stable base without covering the Marco rock.
PXL_20230927_002212386.jpg

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have used eggcrate on the glass. I didn’t think that part through and didn’t help when I added more sand than I wanted to use. But, it still worked out and I’m happy how it turned out.
IMG_5165.jpeg
IMG_5164.jpeg
IMG_5163.jpeg
IMG_5162.jpeg
IMG_5161.jpeg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get flat plate dry rock about an inch thick, flat on top and bottom, put that down underneath and then the aquascape on top.

If you want you can make the plates a little smaller yo let burrowing fish have somewhere to shelter (under a ledge of the aquascape) without burrowing way underneath so you’ll never find them.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get flat plate dry rock about an inch thick, flat on top and bottom, put that down underneath and then the aquascape on top.

If you want you can make the plates a little smaller yo let burrowing fish have somewhere to shelter (under a ledge of the aquascape) without burrowing way underneath so you’ll never find them.
That is what I am thinking…. I guess I have not seen the flat plate dry rock. All of my base rock is flat on one side, but pretty uneven on the other.

Would the MarinePure plates hold up over time, or would they eventually dissentigrate and cause problems with the structure? Seems like I could cut them for a good foundation and add to the living quarters for bacteria…

OP
OP
N

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached my rock structures to the saw cut stacks rock. In some cases I stacked those two high then Marco rock. That gave me more height(30 deep tank) and a stable base without covering the Marco rock.
PXL_20230927_002212386.jpg
Looks nice! Where did you get the “saw cut stack rock”. All I have are flat on the bottom, not both sides.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I am thinking…. I guess I have not seen the flat plate dry rock. All of my base rock is flat on one side, but pretty uneven on the other.

Would the MarinePure plates hold up over time, or would they eventually dissentigrate and cause problems with the structure? Seems like I could cut them for a good foundation and add to the living quarters for bacteria…

There’s also the plain version around too.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! Where did you get the “saw cut stack rock”. All I have are flat on the bottom, not both sides.
Thanks! Two little fishes stacks rock or caribsea Flatz rock. It doesn't take much, I used less than a 20lb box to base 6 or 7 structures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back