Raise Mg

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mg has been consistently testing low. Do I need to raise it or let it be? Corals seem okay, but only had them for a few weeks. Some softies and LPS.
I use Sailfert for Ca, dKH, and Mg
API for pH and NO3

E7F1BAAE-1A08-4684-8B35-363327F9DE58.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mg has been consistently testing low. Do I need to raise it or let it be? Corals seem okay, but only had them for a few weeks. Some softies and LPS.
I use Sailfert for Ca, dKH, and Mg
API for pH and NO3

E7F1BAAE-1A08-4684-8B35-363327F9DE58.jpeg

It's best to keep levels consistent more than anything. Chasing numbers and fluctuating parameters is more detrimental. If you want to increase the Mg level I'd halt all supplement additives and test the same time each day for 7 days and identify your daily consumption rate and you then you can better understand how much should per dosed to hit your goal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our target for magnesium is about 1350 - 1400. We use AquaVitro IONs magnesium supplement which is made by Seachem and is a liquid product. According to Seachem (I can neither confirm nor dispute) this product provides magnesium in a form that is biologically available and does not contribute ammonia which some mag supplements apparently do. Seachem also makes a powdered mag supplement. We just choose to use the IONs form for ease of use. The AquaVitro brand is only sold in retail stores.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our target for magnesium is about 1350 - 1400. We use AquaVitro IONs magnesium supplement which is made by Seachem and is a liquid product. According to Seachem (I can neither confirm nor dispute) this product provides magnesium in a form that is biologically available and does not contribute ammonia which some mag supplements apparently do. Seachem also makes a powdered mag supplement. We just choose to use the IONs form for ease of use. The AquaVitro brand is only sold in retail stores.

FWIW, there is no magnesium supplement sold to hobbyists that is any more or less biologically available, as long as it actually dissolves. That statement by Seachem is one of those things companies write that is correct, but tends to be misleading, implying someone else's product is different without actually saying so.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to keep levels consistent more than anything. Chasing numbers and fluctuating parameters is more detrimental. If you want to increase the Mg level I'd halt all supplement additives and test the same time each day for 7 days and identify your daily consumption rate and you then you can better understand how much should per dosed to hit your goal.
I’m not dosing anything, so testing everyday sounds like a good idea. I give that a try.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll check this out.

Back