Raising Alk with Baked Baking soda.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the best way to raise Alk with baked baking soda.Right now my Alk is 6.9 using a Hanna checker.I would like to raise the Alk to 8.0.Could i use my ATO container and put in the Baked baking soda in there?Over the course of a week my tank uses about 12 to 14 gallons.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would the best way to raise Alk with baked baking soda.Right now my Alk is 6.9 using a Hanna checker.I would like to raise the Alk to 8.0.Could i use my ATO container and put in the Baked baking soda in there?Over the course of a week my tank uses about 12 to 14 gallons.
Hi gfox

The only issue with this is that in ato you won't have full control over the amount added. One day it could be 2 gallon and the next none. It could lead to spikes and drop offs.

I would personally raise it to the level you need it at over a number of days then either dose with calc on a dosing pump or manual addition daily.

The other option is to raise it to the correct level then use kalkwasser in the ato. If consumption is still higher then may need to dose as bsoda as well.

It's a tricky one.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally missed the amount he was raising it by :)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry buddy. Totally embarrassed. So didn't read the amount and was worried you might just dump a load of baking soda in a container and let it get on with it.

As stands your experienced and know what the plan is.

OP
OP
gfox

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry buddy. Totally embarrassed. So didn't read the amount and was worried you might just dump a load of baking soda in a container and let it get on with it.

As stands your experienced and know what the plan is.
No problem here.I knew i had to put it in slowly over time just was checking if the ATO was a good option.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back