Raising baby Berghia Nudibranch

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have managed to hatch some berghia egg spirals! The babies are so tiny you can barely see them without magnification.

I harvested the freshly laid egg spiral with a turkey baster and put it in a gallon glass jar with a lid that allows for air exchange. I have quite a few aptasia growing on the back glass of my coral quarantine tank so I scraped of a few small ones off and added those to the jar as well.

I placed this jar in my cabinet on the corner of my sump (I read somewhere that the vibrations from the pumps help the eggs hatch) and after about 16 days I finally noticed some tiny white specs surrounding a tiny and very unhappy looking aptasia anemone!

Hopefully I can raise them to adults first try!

20231003_011753.jpg
20231003_215219.jpg

20231003_215147.jpg

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small swarm spreading in my tank now. I love seeing all the deflated and annoyed aiptasia. Berghia are cool little creatures.
Super cool so far! I just got the adults a few weeks ago for the coral quarantine tank. Almost right away they laid the first egg spiral that I hatched. I will probably add some of the babies back when they are big enough.

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool so far! I just got the adults a few weeks ago for the coral quarantine tank. Almost right away they laid the first egg spiral that I hatched. I will probably add some of the babies back when they are big enough.
I bet you already have others in the tank. I found egg swirls almost every few days. They are quite prolific.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have managed to hatch some berghia egg spirals! The babies are so tiny you can barely see them without magnification.

I harvested the freshly laid egg spiral with a turkey baster and put it in a gallon glass jar with a lid that allows for air exchange. I have quite a few aptasia growing on the back glass of my coral quarantine tank so I scraped of a few small ones off and added those to the jar as well.

I placed this jar in my cabinet on the corner of my sump (I read somewhere that the vibrations from the pumps help the eggs hatch) and after about 16 days I finally noticed some tiny white specs surrounding a tiny and very unhappy looking aptasia anemone!

Hopefully I can raise them to adults first try!

20231003_011753.jpg
20231003_215219.jpg

20231003_215147.jpg
Very neat! Would be awesome to see them fully grow!

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you already have others in the tank. I found egg swirls almost every few days. They are quite prolific.
Probably. I do have amphipods in the tank as well so I'm curious how many of the eggs will be able to hatch before they become a snack haha.

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. I do have amphipods in the tank as well so I'm curious how many of the eggs will be able to hatch before they become a snack haha.
I have a wrasse, peppermint shrimp, and lots of pods and bristleworms. I am still seeing a bunch of baby berghia.

I added them roughly in the middle of August, and just now they are out and about looking like actual berghia although tiny.

dollar.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in the process of hatching eggs in a container. Look at all those eggs!

I have another container growing out aiptasia using the @sixty_reefer method.

A little worried about my cleaner shrimps and emerald crabs in the display when I eventually introduce the hatched adults.

Attachments

• screenshot of berghia.png
    screenshot of berghia.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20231111-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20231111-WA0002.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 42

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back