Berghia nudibranch breeding help!

dollar.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replicated Sixy_reefer's technique in my sump to farm berghia nudibranchs. For those who have similar experience, I'm really hoping to ask a couple of questions! Please see below my set up!

1700549967106.jpeg

1700549973499.jpeg

1700549983445.jpeg

As you can see, I have the two containers following Sixty_reefer's technique of RO tubing siphon into the aiptasia container, which overflows into the berghia breeding container, which overflows back into the sump. I've used bulkhead for the overflows.

I have around 10 coils of eggs in the berghia container now and have relocated my breeding berghias into the display tank because I was on vacation and couldn't tend to feeding them aiptasia while I was away. So now the berghia container is empty and I'm just waiting for the coils of eggs to hatch and the babies to breed. Do you think this is enough eggs?

I'm also very worried the babies will climb into the overflow bulkhead instead of staying within the container and because they are microscopic there's not much I can do to save them. Thoughts or experiences?

Much appreciated!!

Tom

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new project! FWIW, I don't seem to be able to see the pictures in your post.

@sixty_reefer

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each coil is hundreds of eggs-but the yield varies greatly. You may get no larvae (unlikely), or you may have a hundred larvae from each. So 10 coils is probably more than 'enough'.

If you are worried about them leaving their designated area, make sure they always have food and a dark/shaded place to hide. If they have food and good hiding spots, they tend to stay in the same area (relatively). If they lack either they will search around until they find what they are looking for.

OP
OP
dollar.reef

dollar.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tips! Ok I'll make sure to implement some shade with small rocks and of course always keep it full of aiptasia.
Each coil is hundreds of eggs-but the yield varies greatly. You may get no larvae (unlikely), or you may have a hundred larvae from each. So 10 coils is probably more than 'enough'.

If you are worried about them leaving their designated area, make sure they always have food and a dark/shaded place to hide. If they have food and good hiding spots, they tend to stay in the same area (relatively). If they lack either they will search around until they find what they are looking for.

Lookin good! Are those berghia I see in the tub?
All the berghias are in the main tank now and there's only eggs in the tub now.

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your setup going? I started a Nudi adventure myself back in June. I love seeing new egg coils, im a fan lol
IMG_8249.jpeg
IMG_8250.png

Cheri Vegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your setup going? I started a Nudi adventure myself back in June. I love seeing new egg coils, im a fan lol
IMG_8249.jpeg
IMG_8250.png
I’ve raised some nudis in a 10 gallon tank and got quite a few egg coils. The problem is keeping up with enough aptasia to sustain them. They totally cleaned out my reef tank.

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve raised some nudis in a 10 gallon tank and got quite a few egg coils. The problem is keeping up with enough aptasia to sustain them. They totally cleaned out my reef tank.
That’s why I have separate tanks. One is for nudi breeding and the other aiptasia growing. This way I control the food. They will eat daily if provided, but only need to eat every 3-5 days to stay alive.

OP
OP
dollar.reef

dollar.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My babies have hatched! I count about 30 visible young adults at the moment and they've decimated the aiptasia I have in the container. I am having to "harvest" from the display tank to sustain them. Just waiting for them to get a bit bigger than I'll load them into the display! Will be doing before/after pics of the display aiptasia

Attachments

• berghia video compressed.mp4
    18.6 MB

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a big butt amphipod I see waiting to eat the eggs?
There are some pods, but no amphi that I’ve ever seen messing with eggs. I’ve had hatchings going on, seeing more and more juveniles daily. It’s funny to see nudi on the glass that are the size of rice grains lol.

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My babies have hatched! I count about 30 visible young adults at the moment and they've decimated the aiptasia I have in the container. I am having to "harvest" from the display tank to sustain them. Just waiting for them to get a bit bigger than I'll load them into the display! Will be doing before/after pics of the display aiptasia
Awesome. Great job man. Just make sure to put them on a rock that has aiptasia on it and they will go to town. Also it’s best to add them after lights out because your fish are hiding or sleeping.

OP
OP
dollar.reef

dollar.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some pods, but no amphi that I’ve ever seen messing with eggs. I’ve had hatchings going on, seeing more and more juveniles daily. It’s funny to see nudi on the glass that are the size of rice grains lol.
Right on! It's pretty exciting to see them hatch haha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back