Raising Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya, next step, pt1

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your tank?
For any tank with many nps or nps which require multiple feedings a day. Right now mine are fine sitting in a container where the food is blown up periodically. If I got something more delicate what do you think of that method for making sure they get enough to eat?

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun corals aren't doing as well. Last night I read that food can rot in dendros and I think that might be happening to the sun coral. I had two that I was blowing debris out of and the flesh ripped on its skeleton The polyps also come out better when I'm feeding ever other day. I think. I've had a busy week, so I wasn't quite so on top of it. We'll see. I'll try every other day for both four a week.

Tomorrow I plan to go to the same store I got the sun from and see if I can get the other two. I also plan to get a plate skeleton of a plate that just died and the gorgonian.

By the way do you know what this coral is?

Screenshot_20180724-235320_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun corals aren't doing as well. Last night I read that food can rot in dendros and I think that might be happening to the sun coral. I had two that I was blowing debris out of and the flesh ripped on its skeleton The polyps also come out better when I'm feeding ever other day. I think. I've had a busy week, so I wasn't quite so on top of it. We'll see. I'll try every other day for both four a week.

Tomorrow I plan to go to the same store I got the sun from and see if I can get the other two. I also plan to get a plate skeleton of a plate that just died and the gorgonian.

By the way do you know what this coral is?

Screenshot_20180724-235320_Chrome.jpg
Ive Seen that coral before, don't know what type. Sorry

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took water perimeter samples today from test tank
Nh3- is 0, this was at 1ppm 3 days ago. After installing trickle filter with seeded crushed coral. Is 0. Tested twice

NO3 from effluent out of denitrator is 5ppm, will add more sulfur today

NO3 from tank is 0

All is fine. Also cleaned tank yesterday, easier without crushed coral.

Adding oysters soon in test tank,

We're ready, are you listening @Sallstrom. Take no prisoners

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took water perimeter samples today from test tank
Nh3- is 0, this was at 1ppm 3 days ago. After installing trickle filter with seeded crushed coral. Is 0. Tested twice

NO3 from effluent out of denitrator is 5ppm, will add more sulfur today

NO3 from tank is 0

All is fine. Also cleaned tank yesterday, easier without crushed coral.

Adding oysters soon in test tank,

We're ready, are you listening @Sallstrom. Take no prisoners
I'm here. Always watching your threads ;)

What's R&D?

Also, I think you need to explain what's on the pictures you posted. Want to know what your up to! :)

Our Scleronephthyas still look fine, not fat but might have grown in length. Also discovered that the dosing of EasyBooster(concentrate of 4 algae) has not been on. So ours have done okey with just 1 litre live algae + 2 dl Cyanobacteria a day. Maybe they feed on mucus from the stony corals in the same tank, don't know. Hopefully they'll do even better now, started the EasyBooster dosing and added a little more live algae + live rotifers to the dosings.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those who don't remember trickle filters. At one point they were a no no. They would add nitrates to water. Too many nitrates . This was solved by changing filter media, to a porous type.Crush coral, crushed clay, ceramics, etc... Now these filters can remove ammonia, nitrites , and nitrates. Yes, there are products out there to remove ammonia,to end nutrifaction cycle. but for the cost, these products don't match a trickle filter.
Picture below of 1985 trickle filter

Screenshot_2018-07-30-13-03-23-1.png

Last edited:

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those who don't remember trickle filters. At one point they were a no no. They would add nitrates to water. Too many nitrates . This was solved by changing filter media, to a porous type.Crush coral, crushed clay, ceramics, etc... Now these filters can remove ammonia, nitrites , and nitrates. Yes, there are products out there to remove ammonia,to end nutrifaction cycle. but for the cost, these products don't match a trickle filter.
Picture below of 1985 trickle filter

Screenshot_2018-07-30-13-03-23-1.png
Is this your preferred filtration method?

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! What are you doing for flow? Laminar like others have done or turbulent?

Interesting about the bird poop as a bacterial food source. Seabird specifically?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! What are you doing for flow? Laminar like others have done or turbulent?

Interesting about the bird poop as a bacterial food source. Seabird specifically?
Trying lininar, difference is I'm going to rotate like 8-10 corals 360° , on a timer, on-15s, off 30s, to get constant food contact.
Corals come this Wednesday. Stay tune

Back