Raising Nitrates with Sodium Nitrate

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICP test came back with undetectable levels of nitrates. I've done some reading here and have landed on using sodium nitrate to raise the levels.
Is this a good source to use: https://a.co/d/6Bt04NX

Also, what's the ratio to making this solution? The calculator links didn't seem to work for me?
How much should I dose if my water volume is 240 gallons?

Thanks in advance!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICP test came back with undetectable levels of nitrates. I've done some reading here and have landed on using sodium nitrate to raise the levels.
Is this a good source to use: https://a.co/d/6Bt04NX

Also, what's the ratio to making this solution? The calculator links didn't seem to work for me?
How much should I dose if my water volume is 240 gallons?

Thanks in advance!
You can use this calculator below. Simply use the Nitrate from Potassium Nitrate calculation which is close enough for practical purposes.

Food Grade would be better than Technical grade.

You could also use Calcium Nitrate if Sodium Nitrate is difficult to find.
Calcium nitrate is actually a better choice.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator below. Simply use the Nitrate from Potassium Nitrate calculation which is close enough for practical purposes.

Food Grade would be better than Technical grade.

You could also use Calcium Nitrate if Sodium Nitrate is difficult to find.
Calcium nitrate is actually a better choice.
Thanks. But that link to the calculator has not been working for me. All I see are a bunch of links to products.
1705245485848.png

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. So taking some of the recommendations, i'll try this with calcium nitrate.

* Is this a good source: https://a.co/d/3sNSO2i
* Does this also raise calcium?

The calculator finally seems to be working. I have a 240 gallon system.

* So, if I add 36 grams of the powder to 100 ml of RODI water, each 1 ml when dosed to my tank will raise the nitrates by 0.24 ppm? Just want to make sure I am using this right.

1705377672031.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. So taking some of the recommendations, i'll try this with calcium nitrate.

* Is this a good source: https://a.co/d/3sNSO2i
* Does this also raise calcium?

The calculator finally seems to be working. I have a 240 gallon system.

* So, if I add 36 grams of the powder to 100 ml of RODI water, each 1 ml when dosed to my tank will raise the nitrates by 0.24 ppm? Just want to make sure I am using this right.

1705377672031.png

I would not use that. I would get at least a food grade.
Yes it will raise Calcium but not much around 1ppm for every 3 ppm nitrate added.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates doesn’t directly raise alkalinity, but the consumption of those dosed nitrates will increase alkalinity. So their warning is still worth mentioning IMO.
Yes, I understand that. Biological consumption of any Nitrate will result in an increase in Alkalinity.

I was correcting the statement that direct addition of Nitrate will cause an increase in Alkalinity which of course is incorrect.

Rip Current

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand that. Biological consumption of any Nitrate will result in an increase in Alkalinity.

I was correcting the statement that direct addition of Nitrate will cause an increase in Alkalinity which of course is incorrect.
The consumption of nitrate will reduce the consumption of alkalinity. Dosing to a set level of alkalinity consumption will cause a spike in alkalinity due to the consumption of added nitrates. So yes it will!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consumption of nitrate will reduce the consumption of alkalinity. Dosing to a set level of alkalinity consumption will cause a spike in alkalinity due to the consumption of added nitrates. So yes it will!

I don’t think you guys disagree on the reality of nitrate and alk. :)

jschottenfeld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was exactly a problem that I had. I started dosing sodium nitrate in order to raise my nitrate level from zero, (SPS reef, 15 year old tank) but then I had big problems because I wasn't monitoring my alkalinity as close as I should've been at the time and it spiked.

@Randy Holmes-Farley If I want to try dosing sodium nitrate again to raise nitrates, do I compensate my alkalinity by lowering my dosing drip from my calc reactor? How would I know the amount of bump in alk that I will experience after dosing sodium nitrate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was exactly a problem that I had. I started dosing sodium nitrate in order to raise my nitrate level from zero, (SPS reef, 15 year old tank) but then I had big problems because I wasn't monitoring my alkalinity as close as I should've been at the time and it spiked.

@Randy Holmes-Farley If I want to try dosing sodium nitrate again to raise nitrates, do I compensate my alkalinity by lowering my dosing drip from my calc reactor? How would I know the amount of bump in alk that I will experience after dosing sodium nitrate?

Yes, you can reduce alk additions, or dose ammonia:

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem with getting nitrates up,(currently zero). The last listed product asked about,

Calcium Nitrate Solution Grade Fertilizer​

also listed 100% WATER SOLUBLE: Greenway Biotech Calcium Nitrate Solution Grade Fertilizer 100% Water Soluble (Ammonium Calcium Nitrate)

So,would that also be beneficial or detrimental form of Ammonium to the tank? The biology would have to handle the conversion to NH3 without being overwhelmed.Will my fish and corals handle this?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back