Raising Nitrates with Sodium Nitrate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem with getting nitrates up,(currently zero). The last listed product asked about,

Calcium Nitrate Solution Grade Fertilizer​

also listed 100% WATER SOLUBLE: Greenway Biotech Calcium Nitrate Solution Grade Fertilizer 100% Water Soluble (Ammonium Calcium Nitrate)

So,would that also be beneficial or detrimental form of Ammonium to the tank? The biology would have to handle the conversion to NH3 without being overwhelmed.Will my fish and corals handle this?

The ammonia and calcium and nitrate are fine, but two things:

1. The grade concerns me. It is a low grade with likely little analysis for impurities.

2. It is no longer a balanced calcium and alk additive method, if that is a concern (it may not be).

If you want to dose ammonia, there are better products to use:

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is in getting the nitrates up.My tank only has small frags,but I'm looking to add more zoanthids in the future that will want nitrates.I just thought that since that product included Ammonium it would touch that base too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is in getting the nitrates up.My tank only has small frags,but I'm looking to add more zoanthids in the future that will want nitrates.I just thought that since that product included Ammonium it would touch that base too.

Dosing just ammonia will also raise nitrate if you dose more than the organisms take up, and may provide the N in a form they prefer. It's a little more complicated to do since you cannot dump in 5 ppm all at once, but it may possibly be a better way to go.

saltwater guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,thanks for your reply.Can you suggest the best form and way to add Ammonia? I could add it with RO/DI water in top offs without doing too much at a time.Sometimes finding a pure ammonia without other stuff in it can be a problem.What is your best and affordable suggestion.Thanks again for your replies and knowledge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back