Raising Nitrates without Disturbing Phosphates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bringing my Nitrates up with the use of food grade sodium nitrate, my phosphates are currently at 0.03. Will dosing nitrates lower my phosphate to near zero? Should I wait for my Phos to go up before dosing the Nitrate? Thank you Randy

It will only lower phosphate if it spurs growth of something. That may happen, or not.

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread all. Thank you.

After many years of running a ULN sps dominated system I am bought into having higher nitrates with a goal of increased coloration.

@Randy Holmes-Farley and others what are your thoughts on a target with this goal in mind. Preliminary feedback has me shooting for 10ppm. What are your thought on this target and how long would you recommend I take to go from 1-3ppm to the goal of 10?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread all. Thank you.

After many years of running a ULN sps dominated system I am bought into having higher nitrates with a goal of increased coloration.

@Randy Holmes-Farley and others what are your thoughts on a target with this goal in mind. Preliminary feedback has me shooting for 10ppm. What are your thought on this target and how long would you recommend I take to go from 1-3ppm to the goal of 10?

I'm not sure anything will be different that 10 ppm than at 3 ppm. What are you hoping to see? I'm not sure color will change (but if it does, be sure to let us know).

I do not think any delay time is needed to raise nitrate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back