Raising nitrates

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates is adding liquid poop. Why not get something out of your liquid poop and have a fish to watch make the poop. My dad has a 12” v. Tang that would do a pretty good job helping your nitrate issue ;Hilarious

Say you are treating a SPS tank for ICK and need to keep it fallow for 79 days. You may want to add nitrates using additives. There may be other reasons as well for SPS coloration and health you may want to test out higher nitrates in a short time interval. If you don't like the SPS or tank response, can stop dosing instead of relocating a fish.

Also with a proper quarantine procedure, new fish would not go into your tank for atleast 14 days.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing nitrates is adding liquid poop. Why not get something out of your liquid poop and have a fish to watch make the poop. My dad has a 12” v. Tang that would do a pretty good job helping your nitrate issue ;Hilarious
Haha i dont think the tang police would like me adding a tang to my 29g. Im looking for another wyoming white clown. But i started feeding my corals more, so that should help. Also am still going to add a yasha goby pair. Currently have 1 clown 1 firefish 1 sixline wrasse 2 skunk clear and 7 astrea

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get another 2-3 fish in there no problem
Haha i dont think the tang police would like me adding a tang to my 29g. Im looking for another wyoming white clown. But i started feeding my corals more, so that should help. Also am still going to add a yasha goby pair. Currently have 1 clown 1 firefish 1 sixline wrasse 2 skunk clear and 7 astrea
:)

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could somone please teach me, what is wrong with low nitrates?
low nitrates can stress out some corals and starve the tank in some ways. Also, if your nitrates and phosphates are at 0, it's not good. It's good to have a high ratio of nitrate to phosphate and to keep that balance in place, rather than let them both zero out.

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive me and dont take this the wrong way but this may not be helpful. We dont know ops tank size, adding more fish may not be an option.
See, that's why this is a hobby and not biochemistry science class.
My recommendation is from the proven results on my 300gal tank with over 50 fishes. Fighting high nitrate levels for years, and the constant advice I received over and over again is to reduce the number of fish.
The theory is less fish, less waste to break down, less food, and less waste , and less nutrients build up.
In your case your are trying to achieve the reverse of my problem.
Is my experience the only way? Absolutely not, because every tank is different. However the chemistry remains the same.

Back