Raising pH

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dealing with low pH forever. My pH hangs out in the 7.7-7.8. My test shows a Ca of 469 ppm and Alkalinity 118 ppm/6.61dKh. Salnity is 34.9, Temp 78', NO3 16, PO4 0.25. I did a 30% water change with HW Marine salt. Do I need to start dosing? I only have one frag of SPS and the polyp extension is nonexistant. My Leathers and BTA are doing well with good polyp extension. I want to get more SPS coral but have a hard time with this pH issue. I attached my one SPS coral or at least I think it is. I does not like a lot of light. I would like to buy some coral this weekend but want some input before I kill any coral. Any thoughts thanks.

IMG_3205.JPG

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally get that alk up first to around 8-9dkh. Then you could try a ph buffer or what I like to run is a co2 scrubber on the air line of the skimmer. The scrubber holds my ph rock steady at around 8.2.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve always been told to steer clear of any buffer because it can cause dangerous swings if your don’t know what you are doing. Could the two part work for this? As for the co2 scrubber I don’t have room in my sump area. Thanks

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with that. It’s just a lower cost way of making small changes. I prefer long term gradual changes which is why I choose the co2 scrubber. I attached mine to the center brace of my stand since I was out of wall space as well.

Two part would be used for calcium and alk maintenance. In this case you would need to dose just alk to get the parameter back into ideal range. Once it’s in the 8-9dkh range, you can start dosing with two part if your corals are consuming enough between water changes. Eventually you be dosing daily or constantly with dosing pumps or a calcium reactor once your corals get larger.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Maybe that co2 scrubber will be a Christmas wish list.

OP
OP
lilbitreefer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance does anyone know what type of coral this is. When polyps are extended they just pop out from the surface. There are not many.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d personally get that alk up first to around 8-9dkh. Then you could try a ph buffer or what I like to run is a co2 scrubber on the air line of the skimmer. The scrubber holds my ph rock steady at around 8.2.

pH buffers are just alkalinity supplements. There’s no difference at all and they are not typically a good way to deal with pH issues.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several good ways to reduce CO2 in the water, which is the cause of low pH. More fresh air in the room air is often easiest to implement, but you can use a CO2 scrubber to remove CO2 from the air going to a slimmer inlet, do the same by taking slimmer inlet air from outside, use very high pH alk additives when you need alk (such as limewater/kalkwasser, or drive more photosynthesis such as with a refugium.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back