Raising protein skimmer

LilysDad

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2022
Messages
72
Reaction score
18
Location
Arkansas
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blocks similar to this one which are about 4in which Is exactly what I need will these be ok to use in the sump?

BADCE60E-78FA-460B-9DDF-2C56C177EFC1.png
 
I wouldn't put it in my tank. No idea what it might leech out.
I made a skimmer stand by attaching a few pieces of PVC (as legs) to a piece of eggcrate.
 
Mixed concrete has a very high pH. When set it is stable, but can still leach minerals like calcium and lime. I wouldn’t use it.
 
I use to use one of these that I cut down to about 2 inches for my sump/skimmer combo. It worked well and because of the wide lip on top it would fit any skimmer base from 8 to 11 inches. Obviously you can cut it down to whatever rise you want for your setup.

Aftermarket Aladdin B-37 Basket Used as Replacement for 850001 Amazon product ASIN B003QMDNCG
 
As others have said, I also would not use the concrete block. I have made a variety of DIY skimmer stands out of egg crate and/or other aquarium safe plastics/acrylic.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new