Raising Salinity

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to raise the salinity of my tank (43g). I guess over time of skimming wet, etc. it has dropped. It's currently at .023. I'd like to get it to .025 or so via my normal 5-10g water changes. I get all my water currently from my LFS but am able to mix as needed. So just wondering if it's ok to mix 5-10g at a higher level to slowly bring it up?

Thx!

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that or slowly top off with saltwater. I usually do the latter. Pour in a few cups of saltwater every day until I get it up and then let the ATO with freshwater take over. I've never added saltwater to my ATO however, always done it manually for some reason.

OP
OP
Z

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about that as well and just dumped a qt into the display. I’d prefer not to add it the ATO. Not sure why though.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about that as well and just dumped a qt into the display. I’d prefer not to add it the ATO. Not sure why though.

My thinking is that saltwater is hard on things and I really like keeping the ATO as clean as possible. I'm sure it would be fine but it's much easier to control by adding a little fresh saltwater every day. Once you get where you need to be, you're good to go. Thanks for reminding me to check my tank's salinity btw. I test regularly for everything else but only a few times a year for salinity.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to raise the salinity of my tank (43g). I guess over time of skimming wet, etc. it has dropped. It's currently at .023. I'd like to get it to .025 or so via my normal 5-10g water changes. I get all my water currently from my LFS but am able to mix as needed. So just wondering if it's ok to mix 5-10g at a higher level to slowly bring it up?

Thx!
Yes is the simple answer, it will slowly increase it for you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back