Raising skimmer in sump - Aquamesh?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zero_Cool
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zero_Cool

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2022
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
10,169
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to raise the skimmer in my sump. I have a 24x24x1.5 sheet of Aquamesh Extra Course (black) sitting around.

Can I use this or is it not stable enough for a skimmer (ReefOcto 200SSS)?

Would it serve as a copepod house or would it just become a detritus trap?
 
I would be worried that will turn into a nitrate trap. I needed to raise the skimmer in one of my tanks 1” and used marble tile I had laying around. Been that way for years with no issue if you are looking for alternative.
 
I want to raise the skimmer in my sump. I have a 24x24x1.5 sheet of Aquamesh Extra Course (black) sitting around.

Can I use this or is it not stable enough for a skimmer (ReefOcto 200SSS)?

Would it serve as a copepod house or would it just become a detritus trap?
I used a simple utility basket used for school supplies from the dollar store before buying an actual skimmer stand

1688660689555.png
 
Thank you both. I was concerned about it becoming a nitrate trap.

Probably will just use eggcrate to make one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new