Random, Large-scale Zoa Polyp Death

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I wasn't clearer about the Chemiclean. I tried several things to halt my losses. After dips and such, it was just a last ditch effort. So far, /knock wood, everything is doing well again.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circling back around on this. Everything seems to be recovering although my gold mauls retracted the other day and are starting to whither. I pulled the frag and did a dip in revive and something really surprising happened.... I started a new thread to discuss it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-weapon-in-my-arsenal.283552/

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the reason I don't suspect these to be aiptasia is their size, primarily. They stay relatively small, what you see there are full grown. Some of them get substantially larger at night, but I suspect those are something different. I have "real" aiptasia elsewhere in the tank that get mowed down by my berghias every now and then. The berghias are another reason I suspect they are not aiptasia. The berghias ignore them.
So berghia only eat aiptasia not majano that you have pictured there. I'm only so far into the thread and someone else may have already answered this but small or not they pack a punch worthy of curling up any surrounding 'threat'.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So berghia only eat aiptasia not majano that you have pictured there. I'm only so far into the thread and someone else may have already answered this but small or not they pack a punch worthy of curling up any surrounding 'threat'.
Yes, they only eat aiptasia. The pests I have are not aiptasia. They are not majano either. Majano have rounded ends.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they only eat aiptasia. The pests I have are not aiptasia. They are not majano either. Majano have rounded ends.
I honestly mistook one of the intial pictures. I did a little poking around and came up with "Anthopleura pallida"
ZooKeys-341-077-g004.jpeg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3800810/#!po=21.4912

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How interesting! That's the closest thing I've seen to what I have. The description states they have 24 tentacles though... these appear to have 14-16.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are getting a little off topic on the aiptasia, but here's a few videos we've talked about in the past...

This last one shows Berghias ignoring them. Hence my thought they are not aiptasia. They grapple a bit, but it ignores it.

So I've watched these clips a couple times and based on the way the neck tappers in I'm not so sure. Bunodeopsis antilliensis looks promising IF I can find any varieties with striped tentacles. The description fit the build though.
Screenshot_20170201-060221.png
Screenshot_20170201-060150.png

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Cnidaria_Actiniaria_of_the_Mexican_Caribbean

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed the corresponding author of the first article you posted. Let's hope he emails back! :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add, most of my Darth Maul colony is dead in the latest episode of this. And a colony in the back corner of the tank, nowhere near this one, is also doing the same thing.... :(

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed the corresponding author of the first article you posted. Let's hope he emails back! :)
Fingers crossed! Pretty exciting stuff, there isn't much written on either species. Good call on emailing the author!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back