New weapon in my arsenal

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over-run by some sort of beast that I've yet to be able to positively identify. It breeds very quickly and looks like a tiny aiptasia. It is not susceptible to Bayer, peroxide or freshwater dips.

The Beast
anemone-3-jpg.444207

For the most part, my zoas don't seem to mind. It is only when one of these attaches directly to the stalk that they seem to care. I've tried Berghias to eat them, but they ignore them and starve to death. :( There are literally thousands of them in my tank and whatever treatment method I use it has to be biological and/or systemic. Picking them off or hitting them with aiptasia-x won't work.

I have a Gold Maul paly frag that suddenly closed up and starting shrinking on me. I've done Chemiclean dips, peroxide dips, and freshwater dips and none of them seem to help when this happens. Running carbon seems to help to some extent, although it is unclear if that is just anecdotal. I have a thread here that talks about that whole zoa death issue... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-large-scale-zoa-polyp-death.278683

I pulled the mauls and remembered I have a bottle of Revive. I decided to give it a shot... I put the frag in a cup with some tank water and a tiny splash of Revive, gave it a swish and INSTANTLY 15-20 of these things dropped off dead! Holy cow!!

DSC_2195.jpg

This dip also killed off a whole bunch of ostracods which is unfortunate. But this is an amazing find! Revive is supposed to be safe for Cnidaria though, so does that mean these are not some kind of anemone at all?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT is very interesting.
Will you be able to test the concentration ratios? I have some common Appies Id be happy to set on fir...test with

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT is very interesting.
Will you be able to test the concentration ratios? I have some common Appies Id be happy to set on fir...test with
That's the plan. I have plenty of things covered in them to test with :)

Try if you have a positive match with one of those
Anemonia viridis , aiptasia mutabilis
Nope, not either of those. They are very small and stay small. Thanks for the suggestions :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick test just now with a frag that was looking unhappy which had a few of these pests on it. The recommended use of Revive is 2.5mL/cup (yes I know I'm mixing units! :p). It appears that dosing at 1mL/cup causes these things to drop off without killing pods. I noticed a number of pods fall off when I shook the frags, but they were very much still alive and running around the container. The pests on the other hand were balled up and floating around, presumably dead.

That's reassuring to me that perhaps this can be a step towards a treatment for the whole tank without killing off everything in it.

@twilliard, what do you think about this?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick test just now with a frag that was looking unhappy which had a few of these pests on it. The recommended use of Revive is 2.5mL/cup (yes I know I'm mixing units! :p). It appears that dosing at 1mL/cup causes these things to drop off without killing pods. I noticed a number of pods fall off when I shook the frags, but they were very much still alive and running around the container. The pests on the other hand were balled up and floating around, presumably dead.

That's reassuring to me that perhaps this can be a step towards a treatment for the whole tank without killing off everything in it.

@twilliard, what do you think about this?
that's Interesting.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back