Randy Holmes-Farley, Ozone Reactor

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I’ve read your articles on ozone but I’m not completely sure that I understand the design of your ozone tubing reactor. Can you go into a bit more depth and provide some photos and/or instructions?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any photos to show, and I haven’t had it up for a long time, but I do think it’s a good design.

The basic idea is to add tank water and air/ozone at one end of a long coil of polypropylene tubing laid horizontally. The water and air mix as it circulates round and round, and then it is delivered over GAC before the water returns to the tank.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any photos to show, and I haven’t had it up for a long time, but I do think it’s a good design.

The basic idea is to add tank water and air/ozone at one end of a long coil of polypropylene tubing laid horizontally. The water and air mix as it circulates round and round, and then it is delivered over GAC before the water returns to the tank.
gac?

also, I understand the premise but I’m moreso curious as to how the water and air mix well, I don’t understand how a Venturi works In this instance

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gac?

also, I understand the premise but I’m moreso curious as to how the water and air mix well, I don’t understand how a Venturi works In this instance

The venturi here is just a way to get the air and water into the tubing together. Inside the tube, there are sections with water on the bottom and air on the top. Those circle around the coils and eventually are released. There are not a lot of fine bubbles main maintained inside the tubiig.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a venturi could use a pump with a needle wheel? Basically a skimmer pump
In the BRS video for Reff Octpus VarioS pumps they say something to the effect of “the skimmer pump version of the VarioS benefits from all the same great features, but includes a Venturi…” so Im pretty sure a skimmer pump IS a venturi?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a venturi could use a pump with a needle wheel? Basically a skimmer pump

Yes, any way of combining the air and water. I just happened to have a venturi from an old skimmer.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any way of combining the air and water. I just happened to have a venturi from an old skimmer.
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley , I’m curious if you’d be willing to confirm if something like this would work for your tubing reactor?

Also if there are any resources you can point me towards that might help me understand what I’m looking for a bit better? Like, I know a Venturi pumps in air/gas (in addition to water) I just don’t have any real world applied experience with venturis so I’d love to see some resource explaining them, assuming I have the wrong idea with that skimmer pump^.

Also, do you have any opinion on the Avast Mutiny Ozone reactor?

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @Randy Holmes-Farley , if I were to make your tubing reactor, would you say theres any essential benefit to plumbing it straight from and/or to the DT, or is the sump okay? Same thing as the age old “how to plumb in UV” I guess… like I’m curious if it should be a closed loop in the sump, or if it should come straight out of the DT straight back in… etc

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @Randy Holmes-Farley , if I were to make your tubing reactor, would you say theres any essential benefit to plumbing it straight from and/or to the DT, or is the sump okay? Same thing as the age old “how to plumb in UV” I guess… like I’m curious if it should be a closed loop in the sump, or if it should come straight out of the DT straight back in… etc

Smp is fine. That's where I had mine. Mine was a loop off the sump (actually teed off the main return pipe to the display).

Any pump that is not too fast is fine. If the ozone is added before it, then it needs to be ozone safe. I added it after the pump via an old venturi.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back