How to clean GFO gunk from reactor?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the water output is not flowing evenly through the GFO.

Here’s my reactor. The holes seem plugged. Even with water and a toothbrush.

image.jpg

This tubing is pretty nasty, too.

image.jpg

I’m honestly looking for a solution I can flow through the reactor (outside of the tank) to dissolve the gunk from the reactor and tubing.

I actually might just replace the tubing. But I need to dissolve the gunk that’s clogging the plastic cap.

Thank you.

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like GFO “reactors” in part because of the problem you describe. I now use some in a high flow area in a bag.

It works better for me.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes citric acid. I would also replace that tube with a larger one. Maybe the nipple too if you can get it out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another reactor type would help -with bigger inlet/outlet tubing. Silicone tubing would also help. I do not see the 'plugging' you're talking about. Without knowing whether that is the intake or the output - hard to say

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reactor type would help -with bigger inlet/outlet tubing. Silicone tubing would also help. I do not see the 'plugging' you're talking about. Without knowing whether that is the intake or the output - hard to say
I love you. You always give the best advice. I stupidly connected the reactor to my return pump, thinking it would save me from using another pump. I had to change the plumbing because I didn’t know how to connect those thick fittings to standard PVC. Dum Dum of me.

I’m going to change the reactor inlets and outlets back to the original, and use the sicce pump it came with.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back