Randy, i got a question for ya pal..... lol

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was reading about mixing kalk and vinegar together. when i can across a statement you made about the subject back in 2017.

heres the thread.

you stated----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The pH will rise a bit, but not likely above 8.55, which I peaked at for years with no apparent issues. :)
You can add vinegar is you want lower pH."

and

wcharon said:
Thanks Randy. That gives me confidence. I will give it a try...

The vinegar should be mixed with the KALK or I can dose it separately? I will look for articles for learning curve and recommended amounts.

Either way is OK, but I chose to dose vinegar separately from my limewater to better control the times and amounts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so my question to you is= if so many people consider mixing vinegar into their kalk as a norm, why have you stirred clear of this? and could you explain your statement of " You can add vinegar is you want lower pH"? and how dosing them separately controls time and amount? i interrupt this as to mean adding vinegar to kalk lowers the ph effect of kalk! can you clear this up for me... thanks in advance?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, adding vinegar lowers pH (as does vodka, but that is slower) regardless of whether it is mixed into kalkwasser or just dosed by itself.

I wanted to dose vinegar only when pH and O2 were highest since it lowers both, and I dosed kalkwasser by ato 24/7. So separating them allowed me better timing control of the vinegar dosing.

If you dosed the mix only during the peak of the day, that could work.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back