Randy, i got a question for ya pal..... lol

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was reading about mixing kalk and vinegar together. when i can across a statement you made about the subject back in 2017.

heres the thread.

you stated----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The pH will rise a bit, but not likely above 8.55, which I peaked at for years with no apparent issues. :)
You can add vinegar is you want lower pH."

and

wcharon said:
Thanks Randy. That gives me confidence. I will give it a try...

The vinegar should be mixed with the KALK or I can dose it separately? I will look for articles for learning curve and recommended amounts.

Either way is OK, but I chose to dose vinegar separately from my limewater to better control the times and amounts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so my question to you is= if so many people consider mixing vinegar into their kalk as a norm, why have you stirred clear of this? and could you explain your statement of " You can add vinegar is you want lower pH"? and how dosing them separately controls time and amount? i interrupt this as to mean adding vinegar to kalk lowers the ph effect of kalk! can you clear this up for me... thanks in advance?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, adding vinegar lowers pH (as does vodka, but that is slower) regardless of whether it is mixed into kalkwasser or just dosed by itself.

I wanted to dose vinegar only when pH and O2 were highest since it lowers both, and I dosed kalkwasser by ato 24/7. So separating them allowed me better timing control of the vinegar dosing.

If you dosed the mix only during the peak of the day, that could work.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back