Randy's DIY Iron and Calcium

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I made Randy's Iron supplement and the sediment isn't dissolving, is it okay if I have some sediment or does it need to completely dissolve before use?

Regarding Randy's Calcium supplement I was wondering if it would be okay to use the following:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I made Randy's Iron supplement and the sediment isn't dissolving, is it okay if I have some sediment or does it need to completely dissolve before use?

Regarding Randy's Calcium supplement I was wondering if it would be okay to use the following:

I would say probably not. It is not very pure at only 83-87%. You need to look at the MSDS sheets and see what the impurities might be. I have 99% pure, with the impurities listed are water and magnesium. I would be glad to sell you some cheap, but shipping and duties may make it not worth it.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say probably not. It is not very pure at only 83-87%. You need to look at the MSDS sheets and see what the impurities might be. I have 99% pure, with the impurities listed are water and magnesium. I would be glad to sell you some cheap, but shipping and duties may make it not worth it.
That's odd. Apparently, this stuff is purer than the one Randy recommends. Thank you, but duties would definitely make it not worth it. What about the following?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a better choice. I would still check the material safety Data Sheets to see what the impurities might be. Probably water mostly. I sell small amounts for $2.00 a pound.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergon iron tablets have insoluble material used to make the tablets. My procedure is to let that settle and not use it:

Put one pill in about 25 mL fresh water/RODI (volume is not that important since dose is not that important for iron). Let it soak for a while or overnight until the tablet breaks apart.

Swirl it to mix. Let is settle overnight. Then use the clear greenish liquid. Dose about 1 mL per 100 gallons once a week (dose is not critical).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd. Apparently, this stuff is purer than the one Randy recommends. Thank you, but duties would definitely make it not worth it. What about the following?

No, not necessarily purer, just has less moisture in it.

Dowflake that I recommended is calcium chloride dihydrate. The dihydrate means it has 2 water molecules in the solid for every one calcium chloride. That water accounts for a large portion of the drop from 100% calcium chloride.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not necessarily purer, just has less moisture in it.

Dowflake that I recommended is calcium chloride dihydrate. The dihydrate means it has 2 water molecules in the solid for every one calcium chloride. That water accounts for a large portion of the drop from 100% calcium chloride.

Sounds good, but I'm confused now. I know little about this stuff; I was hoping to get a clear-cut answer. Since the one you recommended is not available to me locally would it be fine to get the dowflake xtra? I'd honestly prefer something I can get in Canada.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, but I'm confused now. I know little about this stuff; I was hoping to get a clear-cut answer. Since the one you recommended is not available to me locally would it be fine to get the dowflake xtra? I'd honestly prefer something I can get in Canada.

Dowflake extra is fine. It is just a little more potent (about 10%) due to less water in it.

Dowflake did make a change about 10 years ago, allowing more bromide in the product, but if you do regular normal water changes, that is OK.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dowflake extra is fine. It is just a little more potent (about 10%) due to less water in it.

Dowflake did make a change about 10 years ago, allowing more bromide in the product, but if you do regular normal water changes, that is OK.
Perfect, I'll grab some then. What do you consider as 'normal water changes'? At most I'd do a 20% water change a month (50 gallon). I have no reason to do water changes other than to add trace elements at this point. Would that be fine?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, I'll grab some then. What do you consider as 'normal water changes'? At most I'd do a 20% water change a month (50 gallon). I have no reason to do water changes other than to add trace elements at this point. Would that be fine?

That's reasonable.

In case you are interested, here's one of many old threads on it:

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So according to that article, there have been some people who do no water changes and have noticed no negative side effects with high levels of Bromide. However, if I'm being anal about the bromide and if I do 20% water changes, then I should have approximately 120-150 ppm of bromide in the water constantly. If that's the case, if I do 20% water changes, then I should be able to maintain a safe level of bromide in the DT while using Dowflakextra? Please Correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry, I've never actually dosed, so I'm a total noob.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So according to that article, there have been some people who do no water changes and have noticed no negative side effects with high levels of Bromide. However, if I'm being anal about the bromide and if I do 20% water changes, then I should have approximately 120-150 ppm of bromide in the water constantly. If that's the case, if I do 20% water changes, then I should be able to maintain a safe level of bromide in the DT while using Dowflakextra? Please Correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry, I've never actually dosed, so I'm a total noob.

I cannot be sure if the level is the same now as when that came out in 2008.

Also, the amount will depend on how much you use each day.

I will say that in all the years since then, with all of the people using Dow products, I have never heard of a problem attributed to the bromide.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the amount will depend on how much you use each day.
I figured as much.

I will say that in all the years since then, with all of the people using Dow products, I have never heard of a problem attributed to the bromide.

If that's the case, I have nothing to worry about.

I cannot be sure if the level is the same now as when that came out in 2008.

Considering the second quote I can't see that being a problem.

I have one more question before I get out of your hair. Since Dowflakextra is 10% more potent, should I use 450 grams of it per gallon of freshwater to get a solution of approximately 37, 000 ppm calcium?

Thanks for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one more question before I get out of your hair. Since Dowflakextra is 10% more potent, should I use 450 grams of it per gallon of freshwater to get a solution of approximately 37, 000 ppm calcium?
yes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back