Randys DIY Magnesium

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Randy's DIY recipe 1 for a while now, but I have never dosed the magnesium part. My AWC has kept my magnesium levels stable at an acceptable range. If and when I decide to start adding the magnesium part what are the disadvantages of using just magnesium sulfate for the solution instead of the magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate together. I have the magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) but I'm trying to decide if I need to buy the magnesium chloride to mix with it or not. The article says how to do it both ways but it doesn't say the benefits of using both vs just magnesium sulfate.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you dose something you don't need?
I have what I think might be bryopsis in the tank and one way to treat it is to raise magnesium to 1500-1600. I've had this patch of algea for a while that I've not been doing anything about and I've finally decided to try and get rid of it. When I get home today I'm going to look at it closely to determine if it's bryopsis.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well then, the benefit to using both is ionic balance, if you're just bumping the level UP and/or keeping regular water changes (which you have automated and are) you'll not have any imbalance issues so you can just use the sulfate to accomplish that.

Back